Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pabeader
Post Patron
Post Patron

HELP! Microsoft Mashups are eating my memory

Ever since I updated to the new Report Server, my PBI server is getting killed by Mashups.  It looks like they are not being released after use and just keep building up until I start to loose functionality.  Paginated reports start getting 403 errors.

Eventually I stop and restart the Report server and that buys me another few hours.  

8 processor and 24G memory.  Used to be 12G and that was just fine.

10 REPLIES 10
petergroft

Measuring Power BI document memory consumption
While using Power BI desktop to create a Power BI report, you can use the Windows Task Manager to review the current memory footprint of the report. To do this:

A. Open the report in Power BI Desktop

B. Insert a blank page

C. While in the blank page, save and close the report

D. If possible, close all open applications

E. Launch Power BI Desktop again, and open the previously saved report

F. Once the report is open, you should be in the blank page that you had added (the report should open to the blank page added in Step B, above)

G. Open Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del, and selecting Task Manager from the list provided. Expand the Power BI Desktop Group under the process tab
(Detailed information about these processes can be found at the end of this post.)

H. Wait for the report CPU % to approach zero, which means that it has completed loading it into memory. See this sample report on the blank page.

Hope You Find This Useful,

Peter

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You may look at this new article from Chris Webb and see if manipulating below 2 registry settings can help here!

ForegroundEvaluationContainerCount

MaxEvaluationWorkingSetInMB 

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2021/06/13/speed-up-power-query-in-power-bi-desktop-by-increasing-or-de...

Not sure how those are related to Report Server.  As far as I can see, the problem is that the number of Mashups just keeps growing.  Well betond the 20 that is mentioned in the article.  I've seen as many as 50 or more.  It's like it fires one up and then forgets it's there. 

Here is what I get after less than an hour.

pabeader_0-1623760360873.png

So, we upped the memory to 64G.  Guess what?  It's now taking 50+  At least it hasn't completely stopped the server but this is ridiculous.  No changes in workload, no additional reporting or users.  Before the update we were running along on 12G after the update, 64g is hardly enough.

I just don’t know what else to try.

This looks like it might be worth a support request? https://support.microsoft.com/

Sure would be nice, but no.  Company would rather go back to paper, I swear!

I still don't see how this reply applies to a Report Server issue....

The mashup container runs as part of the report server and is responsible for handling the power query work for the model. The behavior of the model settings can impact how power query inside the mashup is working.  I am not sure it can help, but just an idea to try. Could be the enhanced meta data feature? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/whats-new

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.