Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

intgd

Getting error when migrating Power BI report server databases to another host

We are using Power BI report server Jan 2023 version.

We are trying to migrate PBI RS databases from host A (sql server 2017 standard) to host B (sql server 2019 standard) . I am following instructions as provided here - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-server/moving-the-report-server-data... 

However, when i am trying to update data source (to use Host B) on Reporting server config manager, it gives error - "This Edition of Reporting Services requires that you use local SQL Server relational databases".

This seems weird as we are using SQL Server 2019 Standard edition on the new host B.

Please let me know if anyone else have encountered this issue with PBI RS Jan 2023 version , and possible workaround ?

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

What edition does the Configuration Manager report when you start it up? My local version is using a developer install, but a production one should say "Power BI Report Server - Enterprise"

d_gosbell_0-1680125736144.png

If the edition is reported incorrectly you might need to raise a support ticket with Microsoft.

If the edition is correct then does the user doing the migration have SysAdmin rights on the new SQL Server instance. They only need this during the database configuration, but the config tool tries to check SQL Agent and configure roles so it needs these elevated permissions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.