Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

susheeltyagi
Helper I
Helper I

Getting Error while Publishing the Direct Query

HI,

I need your help. I have Pro Licence (Organisational id) I am facing the issue while Publishing the SQL Server related Direct Query report from Power BI Desktop to Web Brower. I am getting the below error.
Cannot load model
Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
• Activity IDadb012ee-48a0-483c-b6ae-75a3183eae1e
• Request IDd32e87bc-d026-a0b9-3b06-5e3f233e666f
• Correlation IDda92e924-92ec-9431-f0c2-85d1f036dfb4
• TimeMon Oct 05 2020 10:35:18 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)
• Service version13.0.14396.75
• Client version2009.3.03051-train
• Cluster URIhttps://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

I have tried to create the Gateway for the Database connection in web Browser but over there I am getting the error as below :

"Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."
Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Hide details
Activity ID: adb012ee-48a0-483c-b6ae-75a3183eae1e
Request ID: f2957b92-c274-62c5-7fa4-4cc3a07fbd75
Cluster URI: https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
Status code: 400
Error Code: DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
Time: Mon Oct 05 2020 10:46:22 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)
Service version: 13.0.14396.75
Client version: 2009.3.03051-train
Development Gateway: The gateway is either offline or could not be reached.
Troubleshoot connection problems"

How to connect the SQL Server most recent data to Power BI Dashboard by web browser. SO other team member can view the data ?

Thanks & Regards

Susheel

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @susheeltyagi ,

If your Azure SQL database is behind a firewall, requires a VPN, or is on virtual network, a data gateway is needed. Please check.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you use Get Data to connect to a data source supported by DirectQuery, the connection dialog box lets you select how you want to connect. For example, in Power BI Desktop, under the Home ribbon, select Get Data > SQL Server. In the SQL Server Database dialog box, the Data Connectivity mode shows options of Import and DirectQuery.

All DirectQuery requests are sent to the source database, so the required visual refresh time depends on how long that back-end source takes to respond with the results from the query (or queries). Five seconds or less is the recommended response time (with requested data being returned) for using DirectQuery for visuals; the maximum recommended time is 30 seconds. Any longer, and the experience of a user consuming the report becomes unacceptably poor. After a report is published to the Power BI service, any query that takes longer than a few minutes will time out, and the user will receive an error.

Load on the source database should also be considered, based on the number of Power BI users who will consume the published report. Using Row Level Security (RLS) can have a significant impact as well. A non-RLS dashboard tile shared by multiple users results in a single query to the database. Using RLS on a dashboard tile, however, usually means the refresh of a tile requires one query per user, significantly increasing load on the source database and potentially impacting performance.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Troubleshoot step by step.

- Make sure everything works as expected in Power BI Desktop. Take note of the connection string

- Publish from Desktop to workspace.  Make sure you can see the report in the workspace.

- check the dataset credential settings in the service are valid

- set up your enterprise gateway with EXACTLY the same connection details as you did on the desktop

- publish the app. Have users acess the app and validate that they can do direct query interactions on the service.

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Still I am not able to run the it. When I press the report the its shows Loading and after few seconds I am getting the error message as "Cannot load model

Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

"

My Answers as below :

- Make sure everything works as expected in Power BI Desktop. Take note of the connection string

>  On Power BI Desktop everythkng is working fine. The SQL Server Database is located on Azure  Cloud.

- Publish from Desktop to workspace. Make sure you can see the report in the workspace.

>  Publish from PBI to Workspace is sucessfull. I can see the report.

- check the dataset credential settings in the service are valid

> Dataset Credentials are ok. I have tested on Dataset. I am the Admin user.

- set up your enterprise gateway with EXACTLY the same connection details as you did on the desktop

> I can't create the Gateway because the SQL Server database is located on Azure Cloud.

- publish the app. Have users acess the app and validate that they can do direct query interactions on the service.

> I have Published the app and I have not share to any other user untill I am not able to run sucessfully.

I am the Pro User of this. The main mtive is Select the Data from Azure SQL Database and display on Power BI Report service so other user can view it.

I have tried 2 to 3 time with different name and database table. All the the same issue.

Create a new pbix with a single small table from your Azure SQL source. Publish that to the workspace and test it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.