cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SIA Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Getting 503 error, child process (RSPortal) died (Report Server Sept Edition 2019)

Hello! I have same issue with september update. I tested it yesterday for some hours, tried to install on test enviroment without any previous installations, also tried to upgrade previous version, tried to play with configuration. It didnt work, RSPortal died in all cases. 

So, the only way for me now is to downgrade to previous version of PBI RS, from may 2019. If you want, i can share it for you: https://yadi.sk/d/p_2VOu1_DzAjXQ , but I am afraid that it is not english version, but russian.

Sterkhov Igor

fbeekvel
Advisor

Re: Getting 503 error, child process (RSPortal) died (Report Server Sept Edition 2019)

I just upgraded one of our Report Servers to the september release and got the same "child process (RSPortal) died" error.

Even uninstalling and reinstalling results in the same error. Wondering what the problem could be. The logs aren't really helpful.

Power BI Team rpatkar
Power BI Team

We have not been able to repro the issue yet in the team.

Can you please share following details -

1. OS used

2. SQL version used

3. .Net Fx version available on machine

I understand there is not much information in the portal process log. Do you have any useful information in the ReportingServicesService log file?

pwolf Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi rpatkar,

Thank you very much for looking into the problem.

Here are some information from the ReportingServicesService log when using the verbose log mode of Power BI Report Server. The log file does not contain any error messages, only INFO messages. I did not find any useful infos in the file regarding our problem.

########################

<Header>
<Product>Report Server Version 2018.0150.1102.597 ((BI_Server_Main).190924-2255)</Product>
<Locale>German (Germany)</Locale>
<TimeZone>W. Europe Daylight Time</TimeZone>
<Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\Logfiles\ReportingServicesService_2019_10_10_00_07_07.log</Path>
<SystemName>BI_WIN2016_DEV</SystemName>
<OSName>Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200</OSName>
<OSVersion>6.2.9200</OSVersion>
<ProcessID>4504</ProcessID>
<Virtualization>Hypervisor</Virtualization>
</Header>

########################

We are using this SQL Server 2016 version:

########################

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-CU8) (KB4077064) - 13.0.4474.0 (X64) Feb 24 2018 13:53:17 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 10.0 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor)

########################

The RSHostingService Log contains only this information (child process died)

########################

2019-10-11 00:40:17.8354|INFO|18|Throttled restart of process by 3.598.356,73ms: Portal
2019-10-11 00:40:17.8354|INFO|18|Launching Process : Portal
2019-10-11 00:40:17.8354|INFO|18|Starting Process: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\Portal\RSPortal.exe
2019-10-11 00:40:19.6648|WARN|31|Child Process [Portal] Died. Check the log for further information

########################

There are different .Net versions installed on the machine. I found v3.0.30729.4926, v3.5.30729.4926 and v4.0. The .Net Version 4.0 has version number 4.6.01586

Do you need any further information?

Kind regards

Patrick Wolf

Highlighted
All41S Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

try this - maybe it helps you - for me it fixed the issue.

ISSUE

After upgrading to the latest release of PBI RS, from May 2019 to September 2019, the Web Portal address is returning an HTTP 503 error

CAUSE/Analysis

Our latest’s release of Power BI Report server (September 2019) uses a more recent .NET Framework requirements and we advise a minimum of version 4.7

Action Plan

1. Please upgrade the .NET Framework to an 4.7 or newer version (.NET Framework Runtime)
    1. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download
  2. Restart the Server
  3. Check if the PBI Report Server is now accessible to the Web Portal

View solution in original post

pwolf Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Awesome, that worked for me. Installed .Net 4.8 on the server and now the 503 error is gone.

Thanks!!!

fbeekvel
Advisor

Yes! Updating the .NET Framework did the trick. Awesome! 

messerjc Member

Any chance the installer will be updated to check for this prior to installing/upgrading? We're holding off for a few weeks precisely for issues like this, and if this is now a known issue I'm sure many of us would be more comfortable proceeding once an update has been released.

SIA Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Big thanks, that works!

kztina Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

Installation .NET Framework 4.8 solved problems for Power BI Report Server September 2019.

Thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 272 members 2,625 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: