Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Generic Error Message - Report Server

Hi,

Need help to understand more about an error message that I receive when opening a file on Power BI Optimized version, I make sure that I do not use the Import Query, no Order-by, no CTE or any other limitations that may throw an error, but with all the precautions, I receive an error message with not very helpful details.

It would be great if Power BI could guide the user with appropriate error details.

Need help to understand, is there any way to get more details about an error.

leonardsuares_1-1595277912228.png

7 REPLIES 7
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

have you checked the relationships? In the RS Version is no Many-to-Many possible ;).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @KBO ,

Sorry, I forgot to mention there are no Many-to-Many relationships on the Data model as I create reports for the report server and need live data, Yes I did make sure that there are no Many-to-Many relationships or Composite relationships on the reports. 

HI @Anonymous ,

in wich version of the Desktop Client (Cloud) you've build the report? May be the differences between the clients are to big? Otherwise connect the source again in Power BI Desktop Client for Report Server and copy and paste the visuals/measures ...

Best,

Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KBO ,

I had built all my reports on Power BI July 2019 Desktop version and later moved them to the Power BI (Optimized - Sept 2019) version to put it up on the report server site, I managed to successfully migrate few reports, but there are few which have CTE's on the query and some have these generic error messages,

Then I did try creating new RS version reports for the ones which I could not migrate and copy-pasted the visuals to the new RS version reports, but still keep getting the error.

Hi @Anonymous ,

ok the difference between the clients is very big. May be you can update your Report Server to May2020? And than try it with the May2020 optimized Client.

Best,

Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KBO ,

Thank you so much for your assistance, will speak to the resourcing team to get the Report Server updated to May 2020. Thank you.

Hi @Anonymous ,

If this will help please let me know and after close this case ;).

Best,

Kathrin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.