Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

From PowerBI desktop to PowerBI Report Server

Hello PowerBI professionals

Is there a plain way to migrate existing reports based on Excel or CSV files from PowerBI to ReportServer?

The main problem now is that I can't publish reports because they use not SSAS live connection data.

I don't believe that the only way is to create the same data model in SSAS and then build the report from the scratch using new data sources.

Please help, I have a lot of reports to publish

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folks!

I was reading the thread and I think that we will have a lot of news suddenly. I have a customer that needs to publish your PowerBI reports based on Excel and Access on the Sharepoint Intranet.

There is any way to do this?

THANKS!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You  can integrate ReportServer report views into Sharepoint as PowerBI report server is an instance of SSRS and there is a lot of information how to use SSRS+Sharepoint

Anonymous
Not applicable

After several days of experiments, I managed to migrate existing report to ReportServer. It requires two steps:
1. data model import

2. PowerBI desktop data sources migration from files/etc. to SSAS live

The most challenging thing was to understand that only SSAS 2017 (that is a part of SQL Server 2017 community preview) will be able to import PowerBI data models.

Note that the use of AS Azure is also an option (if you are OK to utilize a cloud service). You can also use SQL AS 2016 or 2016, just that precreated PowerBI models may be of higher compat level though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to set compatibility level 1400 for SSAS 2016?

@Jon-Heide,

If someone is going to use SQL AS 2016 or SQL AS Azure, then why wouldn't they just use SSRS?

I’m still just confused why they are calling this Power BI Report server when you can’t use 99% of the connectors in Power BI.

Hi dsutt519 - Understand the confusion. There are two primary report types, Paginated "RDL" reports which support common relational sources and OLEDB/ODBC connections, and PowerBI "PBIX" reports which always require an AS tabular model. In PowerBI desktop and PowerBI.com there is an instance of a tabular model being hosted "secretly" for you. RDL's are great for paged-break document style reports, PBIX are great for more on-screen and analytical style reports. The SSRS product offers RDL reports, PBI Report Server offers BOTH RDL and PBIX reports.

To your question why offer PBI Report Server with only AS connections, it's was a matter of time. We were able to complete and offer PBI-RS with only AS connections much earlier to customers who were very eager to get started or already have AS data models. Support for additional data sources is still under development and should be coming in an future release of PBI Report Server. Similarly, as more support is added to PBI Report Server, it will have more symmetry and alignment with the rest of the PBI products.

@Jon-Heide,

I'm just really hoping that Report Builder and PBI Desktop (Report Server version) both are upgraded with the same connectors that Power BI has. Until then the product is most likely useless to 99% of Power BI users.

Hopefully soon.

This is the question everyone is asking, how can you call it “Power BI Report Server” when you can’t use 99% of the data sources in Power BI.

MS needs to please fix this issue ASAP! Seems like it should never have been released without the basic connectors. Very sad.

Markkeny
Frequent Visitor

Hi Brainstorm,

No way to do this that I know of.  Im hoping that Power BI Report Server will evolve to let more data connections be used (for me SSAS on multi dimensional is the main one, as I dont want to have to rebuild the enterprise's cube...), just like the Azure Power BI does.

I would also like to know what the release frequency of Power BI Report Server is going to be (ie monthly like the Desktop version ?) and also what is on the roadmap so I can communicate internally with my stakeholders.  Is that something that the product group at Microsoft could share ?

Regards,

Mark

hi Mark,

Thanks for using the product and providing feedback. We appreciate it!

For product updates, please follow the team blogs at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/ and https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/

From https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/06/12/power-bi-report-server-now-generally-avail..., the team did mention "We aim to extend direct connectivity to the other Power BI Desktop data sources, targeting later this year."

From https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/, "We plan to release not every couple of years or even every year, but multiple times per year."

Apologies that we cannot be more specific providing exact dates at this time, but the above should provide broad strokes on where we are going.

Thanks!

Hi,

Has there been any updates to the product , still we are able to use only SSAS or Azure cube .

we would like to use other data sources like flat files , sql server etc....

Is there any date when this can be achieved.

regards,

shrikanth 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.