Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'There's not enough memory to complete..

Our DBA did a database migration over the weekend, so I had to go to query editor to update just the Server name for a PowerBI report. Everything else stayed the same.

Anyway, when I ran the query in SSMS, it returned in a couple of seconds; but, when I ran it in PowerBI, it loaded up in the query editor, but once I tried to 'Apply Changes', I got an error: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'There's not enough memory to complete this operation'. Essentially, I created this report several months ago, but once I need to update it after server changed, something in the process broke.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has happened to me twice on two different reports. The reason is because I used the 'Index Column' feature in Power Query Editor. Once I deleted the applied step for that, I was able to successfully apply the changes and load the data in without an error. Also, my scheduled referesh on the server began working again. So, if Googling or Binging the error in quotations above brought you here, check to see if you have used the 'Index Column' feature in Power Query Editor and try deleting it if you also have this error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.