Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jferrer
Helper I
Helper I

Failed to publish model on a scheduled refresh

Good morning all,

I have a bit of a mystery on my hands. I recently upgraded my PowerBI service to the September 2021 release from May 2020 release. We use the on premises version of PowerBI as we have an enterprise license. Prior to the upgrade, all refresh schedules were working with out issues. However, after the upgrade I am noticing that we are getting intermittent failures on the scheduled refreshes saying that it failed to publish the model. 

2021-12-06_9-20-20.jpg

There is nothing in the logs showing why this error would occur nor does it happen all the time. It's random and sometimes it refreshes and other times it does now.

Steps taken already to try and correct the issue:

1. Stopped PowerBI service on host machine before upgrade.

2. Stopped and restarted PowerBI service after upgrade.

3. Opened the report in PowerBI desktop to make sure they refresh there, which they do.

4. Cleared the permissions on each data source and re-entered the credentials.

5. Deleted and re-created the subscription schedules.

I do notice that when the subscription is going to fail, the host server does not kick off the Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container service on the host server. The below screenshot is of a subscription that is actually going to succeed.

2021-12-06_9-35-18 - Eval.jpg

Below is showing how some subscriptions succeeded and and another failed on the same dashboard.

2021-12-06_9-37-36 - failed.jpg

Im stumped and if anyone has ever seen this happen it would be a great help!

Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning,

I found the fix for my issue, although it may not be for everyone. In my case, the Scale Out Deployment in the Report Server Configuration Manager was showing one of our PowerBI web server was still on the "Waiting to Join" status. see below:

Jferrer_0-1649167891851.png

This was causing the Subscription to fail when coming from the server that was Waiting to join. The issue was fixed by clicking on "Add Server" and kaming sure the server that was just added has all the same ODBC's and connection priveleges as the server that was already joined. 

I hope this helps someone else. It took me several months to find this easy fix!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
kp54357
Helper I
Helper I

I think this is something on which only power bi support team can help.

How can I get in contact with them? I've taken over these tasks from a previous employee and I am trying to resolve this issue.

If you are a Pro user raise ticket from here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/ 

If you are admin of PowerBI tenant then you can directly log a ticket from admin portal.

We use PowerBI Report Server on premise.

Search for your issue here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/?SearchData.Type=all&q=

If you don't get any matching one then there will be an option to raise support ticket from where youw ill be directed to key-in details.

There still has been no solution for this issue. I am continuing to get intermittent scheduled refresh errors. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

We get it as well and sadly ours is due to something else than the solution proposesd here. I'm wondering if there is a folder permission or issue when other processes are trying to simultaneously access date sources. 

Good morning,

I found the fix for my issue, although it may not be for everyone. In my case, the Scale Out Deployment in the Report Server Configuration Manager was showing one of our PowerBI web server was still on the "Waiting to Join" status. see below:

Jferrer_0-1649167891851.png

This was causing the Subscription to fail when coming from the server that was Waiting to join. The issue was fixed by clicking on "Add Server" and kaming sure the server that was just added has all the same ODBC's and connection priveleges as the server that was already joined. 

I hope this helps someone else. It took me several months to find this easy fix!

DMPBR
Frequent Visitor

I wonder if this will work on mine - if it does, you have just found a solution to an issue Microsoft have been investigating for longer than I care to remember!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.