Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dzg7pl
Frequent Visitor

Extranet access for Report Builder and/or Report Server Desktop

Hi there,

We are in the process of deploying Report Server and configuring for extranet access with integration into WAP/ADFS 2016. An assumption I stupidly made was that our external customers would be able to use Report Builder and Report Server Desktop to connect to our on-prem Report Server and create their own reports. Initial tests show that this might not be possible, but could be an error in our configuration - is this functionality supported, or can reports only be created on the internal on-prem network?

Any help/advice greatfully received.

Cheers

Tim

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dzg7pl,

Power BI Report Server is an on-premises server platform, accessable for internal users. Only users have enough permission on Report Server are allowed to publish reports created by Report Builder/Desktop to web portal. Also,  “publisher” users who publish Power BI reports (created by desktop) to the report server for others to access need Power BI Pro licenses. I'm afraid your requirement cannot be achieved now.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the Pro License restriction, but do not fully agree that it for use by internal users, given the Power BI mobile app is able to connect to your report server when WAP and ADFS (2016) are correctly configured with Kerberos Constraint Delegation - this is what led me to assume that Report Builder/Power BI Desktop Report Server would be able to also connect from external clients.

Cheers

Tim

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.