Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Chas2002
Helper III
Helper III

Export to Excel with Totals

Hi Everyone,

I researched before I came here and I see that Export w/Total has been a request since 2016.

Created my Matrix table with sub and grand totals -- it looks great on desktop and Web UI. However, when exporting none of the totals transfer to the .csv or .xlsx. This is a shame because now I have to ask my end users to re-tally up all the data in excel.

Furthermore, it's a bit scary because some of my totals are weighted -- I can easily envision a user just averaging a column and sharing the excel -- BAM! Wrong data being shared accross the company...

Am I missing something? Do I need to use another Power BI service of some sort to export totals?

Thanks,
Chas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There are a lot of directions to go here and it's a little confusng.  If you have Software Assurance, Power BI Report Server (PBRS) will be free.  You can host SSRS reports in Power BI Report Server so this option will be nice as you can use Power BI and host SSRS report in PBRS.

Alternatively SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) comes with SQL Server.  So if you own a SQL Server licenes you can install SSRS and use that.  You can host Power BI dashboards in SSRS as long as you're using 2016 and up.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Download the report in local. Open it in Power BI Desktop. I had data at date level in a table visual. I also had a date filter. I wanted the total row after selecting few dates from the date filter. 

Removed Date column from the table visual, so only the total column was visible. Then exported data to csv. 

This 

It worked for me, hope it helps.

But would be really helpful, if powerbi rolls out the feature to download totals. 

Regards,

chetan.solanki@swiggy.in

KyleWilliamsBMI
Advocate II
Advocate II

per response we received from Microsoft to our similar ticket, 
"

For your requirement, please vote this same idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/19859494-enable-total-row-also-to...

Thanks, I voted for this a while ago.  The request has been open for nearly a year...

Jasel
Helper II
Helper II

Not missing a thing.

However I think the use and functionality of Power BI is for users to view and interact with the data live.  The correct tool you are looking for is SSRS - Just create the same matrix report and setup a subscription so your consumers receive it automatically - with totals.

Hi Jasel,

So I think I'm off the rails.  Started researching SSRS and ended up investigating Report Server.  It's difficult to determine but I think I need a premium account at a shocking 5K per month? 

I tried to find out if SSRS is part of the PRO subscription but couldn't find the information.

Am I lookin in the wrong area?  I'm looking for a setup that includes Desktop, Power BI Web UI, and allows me to export reports with totals.

Thanks,

Chas

There are a lot of directions to go here and it's a little confusng.  If you have Software Assurance, Power BI Report Server (PBRS) will be free.  You can host SSRS reports in Power BI Report Server so this option will be nice as you can use Power BI and host SSRS report in PBRS.

Alternatively SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) comes with SQL Server.  So if you own a SQL Server licenes you can install SSRS and use that.  You can host Power BI dashboards in SSRS as long as you're using 2016 and up.

Truly need this ability in Power BI (SSRS not an option). End Users will not necessarily understand the complex weighted and group-dependent calculations required to derive their own totals once data is exported!

Thanks Jasel,

I have none of those options in place .  I think I'm going to attempt to create my own Totals (row and column) column, add that to the report.  Now that Totals is a 'column' and not the Visual's sub and grand total, I suspect it will export to .csv and .xlsx.

Chas

Unresolved issue since 2016.  Still unable to export to .csv/excel the sub and grand totals shown in the Power BI report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.