cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ramzivic Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Export data to Excel not working in Report Server

Hi,

I found a workaround for this issue by intsalling quickly ARR role on my Power Bi Server. In my ARR I configured a farm containing just one static server where I put the filesaver.min.js file. A rewrite rule is created to redirect all requests containing filesaver.min.js to the backend Farm. It s working as a charm for me and I could export to csv files. Hope it helps!

anthony2k17 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi, can you explain this in more detail - I might be being a little thick here but what is the ARR role?

MikeHNJ Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, @Ramzivic.

@anthony2k17 wrote:

Hi, can you explain this in more detail - I might be being a little thick here but what is the ARR role?

ARR = Application Request Routing, part of IIS. See Using the Application Request Routing Module and

Define and Configure an Application Request Routing Server Farm. Essentially, this is an implementation of that reverse proxy approach where you've got a middleman web server that forwards requests for everything except the missing filesaver.min.js file on to the PBIRS web server.

Ramzivic Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@anthony2k17

Perhaps, I will write someting on the solution. So stay tuned! 

sevenhills Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Does anyone has a solution? Post the steps to resolve the issue, pls. Thanks

lkubat Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Caveat: I am by no means an expert in IIS this is my best stab at following Ramzivic's advice on setting up a reverse proxy, and it did work for me.

1)  Ensure that you have IIS installed

2)  Install Application Request Routing for IIS

3)  Download FileSaver.min.js from github

4)  Create or choose an existing IIS site and drop FileSaver.min.js somewhere in its folder

image.png

5)  Ensure that you can reach this resource by URL:

image.png

6)  On this site in IIS, open URL Rewrite

image.png

7)  Click “Add Rule(s)” and select “Reverse Proxy”

image.png

8)  Enter the IP address of your server, ignore outbound rules and hit OK

image.png

9)  We’re not actually using this rule, but it seems to shake something loose in the system. We delete it by reverting our site to parent setting for URL rewrite:

image.png

10)  Now, we set up our actual redirection rule on the server level:

image.png

11)  Configure the rule to take requests for …/externals/filesaver.min.js and route them all to the URL in step 5:

image.png

You may need to restart the PBIRS server, clear cached files on your browser, and offer a blood sacrifice to Technos the Ancient: Dark Lord of Configuration Settings, but after that you should be good to go.

To isolate redirection from all the other SSRS crap , you should be able to enter “Yoursite/AnyRandomGarbage/external/filesaver.min.js and the browser should find the filesaver.min.js file you stored in step 4.  If this is not the case, something is not working and I don’t know how to help you.

Good luck

lkubat Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Side note: you can also use this method to make changes to the UI that you couldn't normally make.

You could, for example, copy your sites brand.css file, make some modifications and then reroute all traffic from the old brand.css file to your new edited one.  I used this to hide some objects on screen that I think are taking up too much space:

image.png

You may also be able to inject a javascript file that makes arbitrary changes to the site on load.  I haven't tested this yet, but I'm'n'a try to use it to change the name of "Paginated reports" to something that doesn't confuse our users so much.  

dataviznz Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Export data to Excel in PBIRS October '17 GA

Can someone please confirm that "Export Data" from a visual through the browser is possible in PBIRS October '17 GA?

muchinski Member

Hello @dataviznz,

yes, it is.

You go to the "..." button on the visual en then to "Export Data"

Export data.PNG

anthony2k17 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

yes, I can also confirm it is working ok in latest release.