cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathandunlapWTW Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Export data to Excel not working in Report Server

My colleague and I successfully connected my DB to Analysis Servers and then a PBI Report Server (August version). Everything looks great, but nothing happens when I try to export the data from a visual to Excel.

The settings on the SSRS instance have EnablePowerBIReportExportData set to true, so the problem may not be in our local download of Power BI.

The problem may be in the web application itself because when we turn on the Network capture feature in Developer Tools in the browser and then click Export Data on a grid, we can see a few querydata API requests that succeed followed by a request for a filesaver.min.js script that fails with a 404-Not found error.

This may be a bug that needs a quick fix. What is your assessment?

28 REPLIES 28
MikeHNJ Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Export data to Excel not working in Report Server

Just to add a little detail we're using Power BI Report Server, August 2017 Preview.  On visualizations like Table, the Export Data feature is not working when viewing a Power BI report in the browser.  THe option is available on the menu in the upper-right corner, but nothing happens when you click it.

Capturing network traffic in the browser's Developer Tools shows that the browser (this is seen in both IE 11 and Chrome) makes a request for http://powerbiservername/14.0.600.379/externals/filesaver.min.js when you click Export Data, but it receives a 404 (Not Found) response in reply. 

An Error is also shown in the console:

http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#scripterror"

Is there a workaround? It looks like all the resources (script, css, etc.) are compiled into DLLs, but is there any way to manually copy the missing filesaver.min.js somewhere and have the web server find it? 

FileSaver404.jpg

Moderator mgmeyer

Thanks for reporting this, I just gave it a try and I was able to repro the issue. I'll get a bug filed for this and we'll get it taken care of. Unfortunately there isn't a workaroud at the moment.

nathandunlapWTW Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @mgmeyer,

What is the typical timeline for resolving issues like this one? Will we need to wait until the next release of Report Server, or might we expect an earlier fix? Thanks for your help!

Super User
Super User

@mgmeyer  same issue here with us, this is quite a biggie, how soon can MS resolve this?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.
Proud a to be a Datanaut!
anthony2k17 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

We installed the August update yesterday and now have the same issue. Like others said, this is quite a biggie for us so hope fix will be available soon..?

anthony2k17 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Is there any news on a fix for this as it is proving to be quite a big issue for us. Does anyone have a work around?

MikeHNJ Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

We're probably going to wait for the next release. I can't find the link, but I think I read somewhere that they were shooting for Q4 2017. I did find the links below describing a release timeline of about three times a year. If we're counting supported releases (June 2017) and not preview (August 2017), that suggests we may be due for a release sometime in maybe October/November? I'm just guessing. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Desktop-for-Report-Server-Release-schedule/t...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/reportserver-support-timeline/

As far as workarounds, I've only thought about some ideas, but have not actually done any of this:

• Create an Excel workbook containing a pivot table connected to your SSAS database. Users would have to build the table they want through the pivot table UI.
  • Create a paginated report (old SSRS report) with a matrix on it. I suspect these can accept a parameter from a dashboard filter, but haven't checked. These will have an export option to send results to formats like PDF or Excel, but the Excel format might have merged cells and extra rows and columns in an attempt to preserve the report appearance.
  • From what I can tell, the site runs self-hosted in its own executable rather than running in IIS where there might be a /scripts directory of some sort where you could copy the missing file, but you could potentially set up IIS or another web server as a reverse proxy to PBIRS for all requests except the filesaver.min.js which you serve directly.
  • Client-side? While you can embed a dashboard on another site (https://www.kasperonbi.com/embedding-power-bi-reports-with-power-bi-report-server/), security restrictions would probably prevent you from forcing it to load filesaver.min.js from a CDN. Maybe if there was a custom visual that also loaded filesaver.min.js, it might make it available to the whole dashboard?

Power BI Team chrisfin
Power BI Team

Hi all,

Just to provide an update on this - we are tracking the bug and will have this fixed for the production release of the next update of PBI RS this fall.  This isn't too far off, so we won't be issuing a fix for this until that time.  

Thanks,

Chris

Ramzivic Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I founf a workaround for this issue by installing on my Power BI Server the ARR role and redirecting the request conatining filesaver.min.js to a farm based on a single static server. On this server I put the filesaver js file and I can export my data to csv files. Hope it helps!