Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Export a powerBI report from the server to xls

Hello every one,

I'm looking for some inspiration and advices here because I'm struggling with xls report.

We have a powerBI report on the PowerBI report server with automatic refresh (twice a day). I understand that it is not possible to export the entire report to xls. Is there a trick to do it? Is it possible to share the same refreshed datamodel with report builder and extract the xls from there?

One mor epoint, I cant' use the powerbi cloud for security reasons.

I you have any clue, that would make my day... 

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

We have a powerBI report on the PowerBI report server with automatic refresh (twice a day). I understand that it is not possible to export the entire report to xls. Is there a trick to do it?

There is no trick, there is currently no way to export a pbix file directly to Excel. If you are using the January 2020 version of Report Server you can manually export a table visual from a pbix report to an Excel file, but there is a limit on the number of rows which can be exported in this way (I think it was around 150,000). 

Is it possible to share the same refreshed datamodel with report builder and extract the xls from there?

No, only the cloud version of Power BI lets you connect to data models in pbix files with report builder. This is not currently support for the on-prem Report Server. The only way to achieve something like this is to setup an on-prem instance of Analysis Services in Tabular mode, then you can use this to "host" your data model and you can then connect multiple pbix reports in Live Connect mode and paginated reports (using Report Builder). And the paginated reports can then export to Excel (and you can even setup scheduled reports to automatically send out the Excel files)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

We have a powerBI report on the PowerBI report server with automatic refresh (twice a day). I understand that it is not possible to export the entire report to xls. Is there a trick to do it?

There is no trick, there is currently no way to export a pbix file directly to Excel. If you are using the January 2020 version of Report Server you can manually export a table visual from a pbix report to an Excel file, but there is a limit on the number of rows which can be exported in this way (I think it was around 150,000). 

Is it possible to share the same refreshed datamodel with report builder and extract the xls from there?

No, only the cloud version of Power BI lets you connect to data models in pbix files with report builder. This is not currently support for the on-prem Report Server. The only way to achieve something like this is to setup an on-prem instance of Analysis Services in Tabular mode, then you can use this to "host" your data model and you can then connect multiple pbix reports in Live Connect mode and paginated reports (using Report Builder). And the paginated reports can then export to Excel (and you can even setup scheduled reports to automatically send out the Excel files)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many Thanks @d_gosbell .

I don't think that I will have the time to rebuild everything in the report builder. I'll try to export my entire report as a pdf and then convert to pdf to xls with acrobat reader pro. If it doesn't help i'll try your solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.