Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Experience with Azure VM Template for Power BI Report Server

Have been having some interesting experience with the Power BI Report Server template in Azure. So, I provisioned a VM from the template and kind of just expected every to work. But, not so much. First issue is that I can't configure SSRS. I find out that the Reporting Services service is disabled, so enable that. OK, now I can configure SSRS. I accept all of the defaults but find that I get a WMI error registering with Power BI in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager. Do some research, there's a suggestion to download Power BI Report Server and do an "Upgrade". Download it but all I get is an install option. OK, install it and it creates two instances of Reporting Services, server\ssrs and server\pbrs versus server\msssqlserver, the default one that I already have. And, interestingly, it creates a "Report Server Configuration Manager" application versus "Reporting Services Configuration Manager" application that I already had. Weird. I can connect to my server\ssrs and server\pbrs instances in the "Report Server Configuration Manager" app but not my server\mssqlserver report server instance. Vice versa for "Reporting Services Configuration Manager" app. But, it does fix my WMI error. Now, after more troubleshooting, I change-up all of my defaults for both instances to Reports1 and ReportServer1 and database Reports1 for mssqlserver instance and Reports2, ReportServer2 and database Reports2 for the pbrs instance. Interestingly, when I try to publish a report by saving to SSRS, I can't use Reports1 but can use Reports2 from my Desktop. Even more interesting, I couldn't go to http://server/reports2, it gave me an error but after publishing my first report, I could.

So now I have one instance of report server (msssqlserver) that I can upload PBIX files to that connect to anything as a data source. But, I can't publish "live" reports to it that render on SSRS. My other instance (pbrs) I can publish "live" reports that render in SSRS but only if they use SSAS live as a data source. But, I can't upload PBIX files that connect to anything on this instance that essentially just open up in Desktop.

Has anyone else been having these kinds of issues or am I the only one? And, does this seem like it isn't really the way that it ought to work? What I really want is one instance of Report Server (Reporting Services) to which if I publish from Desktop with a live SSAS data source as an SSRS Report that it renders in SSRS but that I can also upload PBIX files that connect to anything and those will open up in Desktop. Am I crazy or ?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

What I really want is one instance of Report Server (Reporting Services) to which if I publish from Desktop with a live SSAS data source as an SSRS Report that it renders in SSRS but that I can also upload PBIX files that connect to anything and those will open up in Desktop. 

Per my knowledge, Power BI Report Server is a different release from SQL Servre Reporting Services. Only Power BI Report Server (pbrs) supports to view Power BI reports online on web portal. And the only supported data source is live connection to SSAS. Reports connecting to any other data source are not allowed to publish to Power BI Report Server from desktop, error will prompt. The same as directly uploading a pbix file from web protal. But more data sources will be added in future releases.

In Reporting Services (msssqlserver), it only allows users to upload a pbix file connecting to any data source, if users want to view Power BI reports, they have to download it locally and open it in desktop.

In short, your requirement cannot be achieved right now.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

We found an issue where the template was not getting provisioned properly in certain regions. We just deployed an updated template with fixes, can you give it a try? For reference there was another thread you can't refer to related to this issue.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-Azure-Image-Missing-PBI-Compon...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

We found an issue where the template was not getting provisioned properly in certain regions. We just deployed an updated template with fixes, can you give it a try? For reference there was another thread you can't refer to related to this issue.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-Azure-Image-Missing-PBI-Compon...

Will do! Thanks!

Latest book!:

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

What I really want is one instance of Report Server (Reporting Services) to which if I publish from Desktop with a live SSAS data source as an SSRS Report that it renders in SSRS but that I can also upload PBIX files that connect to anything and those will open up in Desktop. 

Per my knowledge, Power BI Report Server is a different release from SQL Servre Reporting Services. Only Power BI Report Server (pbrs) supports to view Power BI reports online on web portal. And the only supported data source is live connection to SSAS. Reports connecting to any other data source are not allowed to publish to Power BI Report Server from desktop, error will prompt. The same as directly uploading a pbix file from web protal. But more data sources will be added in future releases.

In Reporting Services (msssqlserver), it only allows users to upload a pbix file connecting to any data source, if users want to view Power BI reports, they have to download it locally and open it in desktop.

In short, your requirement cannot be achieved right now.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

OK, I figured that was the case but appreciate the confirmation. I'm not entirely crazy.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.