Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DmitryKo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Excel file as datasource

PBI RS allows uploading excel files onto the server. These files are displayed at the "web portal" (/reports).
Is there a guide how to configure such excel file as a shared datasource to be used on PBI RS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DmitryKo
Helper IV
Helper IV

OK, so the team spent some effort implementing a feature to upload and store files on the server, including Excel files, and manage it through Power BI RS "web portal" interface.

The feature is completely useless and does not fit PBI RS usage model in any way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DmitryKo
Helper IV
Helper IV

OK, so the team spent some effort implementing a feature to upload and store files on the server, including Excel files, and manage it through Power BI RS "web portal" interface.

The feature is completely useless and does not fit PBI RS usage model in any way.

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@DmitryKo wrote:

PBI RS allows uploading excel files onto the server. These files are displayed at the "web portal" (/reports).
Is there a guide how to configure such excel file as a shared datasource to be used on PBI RS?

I don't think you can use an Excel file uploaded to Report Server as a data source in Power BI.

Why this functionality exists then and what's the point in this?

@DmitryKo wrote:

Why this functionality exists then and what's the point in this?

The portal allows other types of files such as PDF, etc too. I think the purpose is to function as a document library but most orgnizations I worked with don't use it for that purpose.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.