Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel Power Pivot Report in Power BI Report Server

Hi all,

I have a report that was created via Power Pivot in Excel. It have connections to SQL databases(not Analysis Services) via queries.

I have imported this report to Power BI Report Server but neither I can create a scheduled refresh nor applying a filter.

Error message: "We cannot locate a server to load the workbook Data Model."

How can I handle this? 

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Currently scheduling a refresh of Excel files with PowerPivot models is not yet supported. If you are having problems viewing the excel document, ensure you have Office Online server configured correctly with the report server. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/excel-oos

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again,

I have learned that Analysis Services with Power Pivot mode is needed to be installed. I think this will be the solution of our problem.

Hello  @Anonymous,

You got it 🙂 A SSAS instance in PowerPivot mode is needed. Once you have it installed, just configure the OOS with the following PS command:

New-OfficeWebAppsExcelBIServer -ServerID "ServerInstanceName"

I have configured it this way and got it working seamlessly. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Víctor M.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @VictorM,

We established an Analysis Services with PowerPivot mode, but problem is still continuing. We made all the instructions on Microsoft's document page, but it still does not work. Probably we are not able to tell the PBIRS that it needs to use this Analysis Services with PowerPivot mode.

did we miss something I could not understand 😕 

Best regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Huss,

Recently, we tested Power BI Report Server + Office Onine Server. Excel connected to SSAS or Excel with Power Pivot all work fine. We encountered your error message as well. Check SQL server version, if SQL2017, upgrated to CU3 or higher. The error was cause by missing peroformace counter( You can find error message in ULS log).

Best Regard!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Status did not change, I can still neither refresh the report nor applying the filter. I configured the Office Online Server as it says but it did not work.

Best regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.