cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JJones1505 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Excel Online not working in PBIRS

We downloaded and installed the PBIRS preview for August.  Pbix files work as do RDL reports.  I can upload Excel files as well. We also installed OOS on the test PBIRS server and configured using http. The issue I have is when i click to open the Excel file, I receive an error: "Unable to Open the file. We couldn't find the file you wanted. It's possible the file was renamed,moved or deleted."  The file was not any of these suggestions.  It is where I specified on upload.  I have searched for this issues but i get info related to SharePoint, which this is not.  What am I missing?  Thanks!

29 REPLIES 29
jbeauche Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Excel Online not working in PBIRS

Similar issue here.

Excel files can be rendered properly in Excel Online (SP 2016 + Office Online On Prem), but not from PBIRS August 2017 Preview.

Received an error regarding the address https://server.xyz.com/hosting/discovery , to check if it is correct. 

The settings is Ok and the address is good and it's working properly. 

At the end, can't render Excel file from PBIRS.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks

Jean

Power BI Team chrisfin
Power BI Team

Are both OOS and PBI Report Server on the same machine?  If so, try restarting the Power BI Report Server service on the machine and see if that addresses the issue.  Don't restart the entire server, just the service itself.  That should clear up the issue.  

Frequent Visitor

Yes, both PBIRS and OOS are on the same server.  I tried restarting the services first thing as well and the error still comes up.

Power BI Team chrisfin
Power BI Team

Something to check is the following folder location - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OfficeWebApps\Data\FarmState\Topology.xml

It'll show you the current machine state.  If it says "Unknown", then the machine has somehow gotten into an unrecoverable state for Office Online Server and you'll need to start fresh on a new VM.  There are some articles on the web stating you should be able to fix the XML and have it start working again, but we've not seen that actually work in our case.  This happens very infrequently, but we've had it occur once or twice and haven't found a way to recover from this state.  It doesn't have anything to do with Report Server from what we can tell, but rather some combination of items/settings on the machine.  We've asked for additional details from the Office server team to understand what that may be. 

If it says "Healthy" or "Unhealthy", then it should still be in a state where it can be recovered and usually restarting the service will do that.  You might want to look at the ULS logs in OOS to see if anything jumps out there as well (the logs are in the Data folder in the path I gave you above).  Beyond that, you could look to set things up on two different machines (OOS on one, PBI RS on another) and see if you still have the issue.    

FWIW, when the features in August preview go live in the next update, we have improved this setup experience so you shouldn't ever need to restart the service after initial setup just to get things working in certain cases.

Frequent Visitor

The Topology.xml file states that everthing is "healthy".  There isn't much else in that file, should there be?  Also, i did not see anything that stood out in th ULS logs so i am at a loss, other than setting up two different machines for this configuration. 

Power BI Team chrisfin
Power BI Team

Hmm - one last thing, are you using the "internal" or "external" url you setup for OOS as the URL?  You could try switching the URL you're using from one to the other (though it shouldn't make a difference).  Failing that, I'd ask you contact Microsoft support so they can dig into it more thoroughly with you. 

Frequent Visitor

That was the only thing i had left to try. I am using the internal URL. I need to configure it for the External.  Thanks for the help!.

jbeauche Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

On my side the machine state is Healthy. And I still receive the following error in PBIRS:

"The page cannot be displayed

Check the Web address https://ab-cdef12.ghi.klmn is correct"

This address correspond to the prefix of the url for the Office Online Server Discovery Endpoint URL, but truncated by 1 character.

The full url in PBIRS is:

https://ab-cdef12.ghi.klmnO/hosting/discovery

I'm not sure why in the error message, the url prefix is truncated by 1 characters.

Is there a limitation on the length for the discovery endpoint URL ?

If I check the URL, https://ab-cdef12.ghi.klmnO/hosting/discovery  it is working properly.

And on SharePoint , Excel files can be rendered properly in the browser.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Jean

Power BI Team chrisfin
Power BI Team

If it's on the same machine, can you try using localhost vs. that URL?  Also, do you have the external URL configured?  You could try that as well.  Also, if you are using a self-signed certificate, you need to make sure it is trusted on the server for the connection to work properly.

We'll look at the URL dropping a character - seems a little odd, obviously.