Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

Everything gone when opening pbix

I am using Power BI with Report Server and keep coming across a troubling problem.  I am in PBIRS Desktop and try to open an existing report.  It shows all the tabs as it is loading and then finishes up by showing only one blank Page 1 tab.  All the work is gone.

The report still works on the Report Server.  And there seems to be only one way I can get my work back.

From the Power BI Desktop for RS, File > Open > Recent reports .... blank page

From the Power BI Desktop for RS, File > Open > from Report Server .... blank page

From Report Server, Edit in Power BI Desktop ... blank page

From Report Server, Download to my laptop.  In Desktop, File > Open > Browse reports and select download file ... it works (whew)

Any ideas what causes this amongst multiple reports?  Any ideas for easier fix than this process I have to use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have found better success if I open Power BI Desktop for RS separately and then open the file.  This seems to have much more success than trying File > Open from an existing report I already have open.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mglasser ,

Thank you for sharing the solution for us. Would you please try to mark it as answer to help others with the same issue find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have found better success if I open Power BI Desktop for RS separately and then open the file.  This seems to have much more success than trying File > Open from an existing report I already have open.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @mglasser ,

we currently have a similar behavior with one user.

Could you please tell me if the behavior has always occurred or only occasionally?
For this, have you been able to find out if it was actually due to multiple reports being open at the same time?
Are you working with the workaround now or were you able to find an actual solution for this?

Thank you for any feedback.

Kind regards

NiHi

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mglasser ,

I can't reproduce your issue .I suggest you use the latest version of power bi desktop for RS and try again.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am on version October 2020 and I definitely have multiple reports open at the same time.  Probably about 3-4.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a couple of users who have been dealing with the same thing. It's intermittent, but we think it has something to do with having multiple reports open. We're on October 2020. What version of Desktop for RS are you using?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.