Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error when saving report to Power BI Report Server

So I reviewed the documentation, identified the correct ports, etc. 

When I attempt to save a PBIX file from the Desktop for RS (launched either directly from my desktop or from the Power BI Server), I can see the subdirectories, on the server,  but when I attempt to save to those folders

I get an "An error occured while attempting to save the report to Power BI Report Server" 

When I attempt to upload a file from my desktop onto the Power BI server via Upload I get the following:

There was an error uploading your .pbix file. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't save to the server? 

38 REPLIES 38
SergeyZhukov

fix the file rsreportserver.config

Sections:

<Hostname>servername</Hostname>
<ReportServerUrl>servername/ReportServer</ReportServerUrl>

jayjay1
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I was getting the "An error occured while attempting to save the report to Power BI Report Server" error message when trying to publish my PBI reports to PBI Report Server. However, when I downgraded my PBI desktop (optimised for Report Server) to match the Report Server version so in my case uninstalling my desktop version (March 2018) then installing Oct 2017) this did the trick and I was able to publish successfully without any issues. 

The other option is to obviously upgrade the Report Server to the latest version (or to match your desktop version) but this should be tested first on non-production systems and it's easier to test locally first before messing with servers. 

Hope this helps, 

Jay

MBVMMB

Hi All

we are new to PowerBI server and we just installed March 2018 version.
Currently we are facing the same issue with publishing reports to the server using March 2018 Desktop. We configured server with local domain service account and SQL enterprise 2017 Software Assurance.

1. When trying to publish report from Desktop using service account we can select the server and see the folder however we are not able to publish the reports to the selected folder. When using any other user (defined on the portal to have access to the folders) we get error "Unexpected error encountered"

2. When trying to upload PBIX files (even empty) from the portal with both service account and other user, we get error "There was an error uploading your .pbix file. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

PBIT files are uploaded fine.

Analysis services are not configured. Is it a must for the PowerBI server?
Can the reason be that the user doesn’t have the pro license (to be able to upload) ?
Do we need to set NT service \PowerBI ... account as service account?

In RSPortal xxx log file I can see the error
|ERROR|35|The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.| RequestID = s_5f8d70f8-c1a9-4c0d-bcaa-7c9623f00c1a
we have local proxy but it should not be an issue.

Any advice is more than welcomed.

jonculp85
Frequent Visitor

The resolution for me was to use the version of PowerBI Desktop which aligns with my Power BI Server version. 

In my case, Microsoft Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - October 2017)
Located: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56136

I had to open existing PBIX files in this version of PowerBI Desktop and resave them.  Then, I was able to upload.

Still hasn't worked for me. Running October 2017 Power BI Report Server and October 2017 Power BI Desktop...

Just see these in RSPortal log over and over:

RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!RSPortal.exe!1b!12/12/2017-15:34:45:: i INFO: Received request POST /api/v2.0/powerbireports%28Path%3D%27/Dashboards/Registrants%20State%20Map%27%29/Model.Upload | RequestID = s_dfcb697d-402f-4f70-a1b8-3a6a1f146a9e
RSPortal!library!RSPortal.exe!1b!12/12/2017-15:34:45:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/Dashboards/Registrants State Map' cannot be found.;
RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!RSPortal.exe!d!12/12/2017-15:34:47:: e ERROR: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. | RequestID = s_dfcb697d-402f-4f70-a1b8-3a6a1f146a9e

Is this generated by you clicking the "Take me there" link?

Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/Dashboards/Registrants State Map' cannot be found.;

That line and the 401 error are a bit strange?

Is there anything published on your server at all?

If so have you re-saved any reports created in previous versions of Power BI with the new version?

Nothing published currently. Will try publish some of my SSRS reports shortly.

I can access the GUI (http://powerbi/reports) just fine via Chrome and IE.

I'd stay away from your SSRS reports for now and just try to get something trivial published to Power BI Report Server with Power BI client getting data from an SSAS cube

I don't have any SSAS cubes. The PowerBI Report I am attempting to publish is hooked to an IBM DB2 database. It runs fine locally.

I figured out what it was.

What lead me to the clue is the following:

1. Browsing remotely to http://powerbi/reports and powerbi/reportserver worked just fine.

2. Logged into the server and tried those same URLs and got HTTP 503 server unavailable errors, which I thought was wierd.

So I did the following:

1. Disabled Loopback check in windows (method 2 from this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/896861/you-receive-error-401-1-when-you-browse-a-web-site-t...)

2. Still didn't work

3. Then went to IIS and noticed default website was there listening on port 80. I said what the heck and deleted it, and all the unused App Pools in IIS as I didn't have anything running under the default web site in IIS.

That fixed it.

I'm guessing that even though I was using host headers in Power BI for the /ReportServer and /Reports URLs it must have still been having a conflict with the default website running on port 80 for some reason. Host headers are supposed to prevent this, but I'm guessing there might be an issue in Power BI in regards to host headers and when it binds or something.

Great troubleshooting, for anyone out there having similar issues try running this to check your reserved URLS:

> netsh http show urlacl

I am facing the same issue. Not able to publish/upload power bi reports to Power BI Report Server. I was able to publish Paginated reports successfully. I see the below error in my RSPortal log file.

RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!RSPortal.exe!6!02/12/2018-14:37:58:: i INFO: Received request POST /api/v2.0/powerbireports%28Path%3D%27/Report%20Detail%27%29/Model.Upload | RequestID = s_d85e687b-044b-40e3-a15b-c01a21879c78 
RSPortal!library!RSPortal.exe!6!02/12/2018-14:37:58:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/Report Detail' cannot be found.;
RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!RSPortal.exe!7!02/12/2018-14:37:58:: e ERROR: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. | RequestID = s_d85e687b-044b-40e3-a15b-c01a21879c78 

What do you see in the Power BI Client when you try to publish something?

When going to File >> Save As, then I select Power BI Report server. I get this:

2017-12-12_15-54-13.png2017-12-12_15-55-01.png2017-12-12_15-55-20.png

What security have you defined for the "Dashboards" directory?

Can you try to save the report right in the "home" directory? (just /reports)

MarcinS
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem. I tried different options including providing the port number - with no luck. My configuration is as follows:

- VM1: Power BI Report Server (October 2017)

- VM2: MS SQL Server 2016 with SSRS installed

So far when someone tries to save the report from Desktop to RS, then gets the error as mentioned in this thread.

Do you have any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks,

Marcin

A few clean up items for this thread:

There is absolutely no problem running SSRS and PBIRS on the same box, virtual or otherwise.

The report you are trying to upload must be created and/or saved in the  -->  matching client <--  for the PBIRS version you are using or it will not work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmikosThis is a valid point, but we made sure that we had (and still have) the correct versions. And still, on the server we used first it still does not work. On the "new" one it works fine.

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Do you have access to the machine that has the server installed? If so can you check the RSPortalXXX and RSPowerBIXXX logs in the installation LogFiles folder and let me know if you see any errors.? Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

I am seeing 

RSPortal!library!RSPortal.exe!67!11/03/2017-10:41:50:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/Upload/Server Attempt' cannot be found.

Which is the name of the file I am trying to upload. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.