cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tier1Support Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Error when saving report to Power BI Report Server

This did not work me. Smiley Sad Have the same file type issue where it doesn't think it's a .pbix.

Highlighted
MarcinS Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem. I tried different options including providing the port number - with no luck. My configuration is as follows:

- VM1: Power BI Report Server (October 2017)

- VM2: MS SQL Server 2016 with SSRS installed

So far when someone tries to save the report from Desktop to RS, then gets the error as mentioned in this thread.

Do you have any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks,

Marcin

cmikos Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

A few clean up items for this thread:

There is absolutely no problem running SSRS and PBIRS on the same box, virtual or otherwise.

The report you are trying to upload must be created and/or saved in the  -->  matching client <--  for the PBIRS version you are using or it will not work.

zuerichris Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@cmikosThis is a valid point, but we made sure that we had (and still have) the correct versions. And still, on the server we used first it still does not work. On the "new" one it works fine.

jonculp85 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

The resolution for me was to use the version of PowerBI Desktop which aligns with my Power BI Server version. 

In my case, Microsoft Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - October 2017)
Located: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56136

I had to open existing PBIX files in this version of PowerBI Desktop and resave them.  Then, I was able to upload.

xantari Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Still hasn't worked for me. Running October 2017 Power BI Report Server and October 2017 Power BI Desktop...

Just see these in RSPortal log over and over:

RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!RSPortal.exe!1b!12/12/2017-15:34:45:: i INFO: Received request POST /api/v2.0/powerbireports%28Path%3D%27/Dashboards/Registrants%20State%20Map%27%29/Model.Upload | RequestID = s_dfcb697d-402f-4f70-a1b8-3a6a1f146a9e
RSPortal!library!RSPortal.exe!1b!12/12/2017-15:34:45:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/Dashboards/Registrants State Map' cannot be found.;
RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!RSPortal.exe!d!12/12/2017-15:34:47:: e ERROR: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. | RequestID = s_dfcb697d-402f-4f70-a1b8-3a6a1f146a9e

cmikos Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Is this generated by you clicking the "Take me there" link?

Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/Dashboards/Registrants State Map' cannot be found.;

That line and the 401 error are a bit strange?

Is there anything published on your server at all?

If so have you re-saved any reports created in previous versions of Power BI with the new version?

xantari Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Nothing published currently. Will try publish some of my SSRS reports shortly.

I can access the GUI (http://powerbi/reports) just fine via Chrome and IE.

cmikos Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

What do you see in the Power BI Client when you try to publish something?

xantari Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

When going to File >> Save As, then I select Power BI Report server. I get this:

2017-12-12_15-54-13.png2017-12-12_15-55-01.png2017-12-12_15-55-20.png