Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error when saving report to Power BI Report Server

So I reviewed the documentation, identified the correct ports, etc. 

When I attempt to save a PBIX file from the Desktop for RS (launched either directly from my desktop or from the Power BI Server), I can see the subdirectories, on the server,  but when I attempt to save to those folders

I get an "An error occured while attempting to save the report to Power BI Report Server" 

When I attempt to upload a file from my desktop onto the Power BI server via Upload I get the following:

There was an error uploading your .pbix file. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't save to the server? 

38 REPLIES 38

If you check Help about in Desktop which versoin are you using?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Version: 2.51.4885.1041 64-bit (October 2017)

Downloaded fresh this morning 🙂

If it helps, I was having the same error in previous versions. I thought it would be a good idea to retest once I could get the server and desktop in sync, which i did this morning. 

Sorry to ask so many troubleshooting questions but got a couple more:

1. Do you get this error with all reports or just a particular one?

2. If you Save the report to disk using Save As and then try to upload it to the Portal does it work?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries - I love answering these questions if it can help get to the bottom of it. 

1) It is ALL reports. I have yet to be able to publish a PBIX file to the server. I can publish files of any other type, including .PBIT files. 

2) I get the same behaviour whether I Save As from the Desktop or if I Upload to the Portal. 

We've tried both PowerBIReportServer Service Account  as well as SQL Server Database credentials - same behaviour. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So when we uninstalled SSRS, we were able to save the files without incident into the Power BI Server.

But this begs the following questions

What would cause this?

How do we work around it?

Do we work around it, or do we have separate PowerBI and SSRS server installations and never the two shall meet?

Thoughts?

Thanks

David Vinson

Ahh, that makes a little more sense I didn't realize you had both SSRS and PBIRS installed SxS. My guess is when you configured the servers you used the same URL reservations for both. SxS install of SSRS and PBIRS is supported however when you configure your servers you need to make sure they both point to differant catalog databases and their URL reservations for both Web Service and Web Portal are differant. Let me know if that resolves the issue. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi we seem to have the same issue, but with different URLs. So this hint does - unfortunately - not solve the Problem. Desperate greetings Christian
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have SSRS installed on either/both of the servers that you reference in the architecture? Once we removed SSRS from the servers that had PowerBI Report Server executing on it, it cleared up for us.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well yes, I do have SSRS installed on that server.

The specs say that PowerBI RS is a seperate tool that should run in parallel to SSRS. So that is what I expect it to do...

Stopping the SSRS service did not help.

How can we remove just SSRS???

Anonymous
Not applicable

We physically uninstalled SSRS from the SSDT suite to ensure there was no conflict to our PowerBI Server. We are building an environment from scratch now and will not install SSRS on any of the DEV/QA/PROD servers. We will stand up separate instances of SSRS on different virtual machines,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, we now managed to uninstall SSRS but leave SQL Server installed.

The upload still does not work neither from Power BI Desktop (October 2017) nor through uploading within the portal.

Any further suggestions?

Removing SQL Server completely and start from scratch is NO option.

@Anonymous do you know what URL reservations you had for both SSRS and PBIRS when they were installed? After you uninstalled SSRS can you open the PBIRS Config tools and try to re-register your URLs for PBIRS and let me know if that works? Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

we got it up and running now. Publishing and uploading Power BI reports works fine.

Unfortunately, we had to start again on another server, where we had a proper SQL Server Installation (with SSRS) running.

Thanks to everyone for your support! Good to know that there is a community that helps!

Christian

I had a similar issue. While I have not configured HTTPS yet, the SAVE AS to Power BI Report Server requires the port number -- even if it is port 80.

So, when saving the file PBIX file to Power BI server use the URL in the following format:

http://PBIRS:80/reports 

Hope this helps.

Jawa

This did not work me. 😞 Have the same file type issue where it doesn't think it's a .pbix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im going to respectfully defer to the minds at Microsoft on this one. There is something in the SSRS configuration and the PowerBI configuration that is in conflict.

Where that is? I'm uncertain. If completely uninstalling and reinstalling is not an option, maybe they can provide some insight to a parameter change that would help.

I apologize - I'm fairly new at this as well.

Dave Vinson

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I have no ideas - other than trying to add the http locations to a trusted list for security on the browser.

I am exposing my naivete at this point.

Do the minds at Microsoft have any ideas?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.