Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error when saving report to Power BI Report Server October preview

After upgrade to october preview on both server and desktop I get an error message when saving report as Power BI Report Server. Error message: An error occured while attempting to save the report to Power BI Report Server. Same result for both new reports and when over writing an existing report.

I have made no changes to users and this was working just fine before the upgrade.

Are there any logs I can look at?

5 REPLIES 5
jayjay1
Frequent Visitor

Hi martinlarsson,

I was getting the same error message when trying to publish my PBI reports to PBI Report Server. However, when I downgraded my PBI desktop (optimised for Report Server) to match the Report Server version so in my case uninstalling my desktop version (March 2018) then installing Oct 2017) this did the trick and I was able to publish successfully without any issues. 

The other option is to obviously upgrade the Report Server to the latest version (or to match your desktop version) but this should be tested first on non-production systems and it's easier to test locally first before messing with servers. 

So for your case I would have to assume either one of the installs didn't work properly and need to be done again. 

Hope this helps, 

Jay

Anonymous
Not applicable

Additional info: I looked at this this issue and took a look into the logs I found under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles but the log sais nothing about the error.

Also, I am able to upload the report manually without any problems.

If you can upload manually fine then check and make sure when trying to publish you're using the right URL? 

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Please double confirm the Power BI desktop optimized for report server version is 2.51.4885.1041 64-bit (October 2017) and Power BI report server version is 14.0.600.434. 

2. When you use Save As -> Power BI report server option, the error occurs to one specific report or all reports?

3. Do you install SSRS with Power BI report server side by side? Please try @mgmeyer's suggestion here

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea how to check the server version. The desktop is as you say version 2.51.4885.1041 64-bit (October 2017).

I found out that Reporting Services 2014 was installed on the server but I dont think it was running. I uninstalled it through the SQL Server uninstall wizzard and choose Reportin Services Native mode and Sharepoint mode. Restarted the server.

Now when I try to save as on report server from desktop I still get an error. In the log file RSPortal_2017...

RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!RSPortal.exe!2b!11/07/2017-09:58:35:: e ERROR: OData exception occurred: System.Web.Http.HttpResponseException: Processing of the HTTP request resulted in an exception. Please see the HTTP response returned by the 'Response' property of this exception for details.
   at System.Web.Http.ModelBinding.FormatterParameterBinding.ReadContentAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Type type, IEnumerable`1 formatters, IFormatterLogger formatterLogger, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Web.Http.ModelBinding.FormatterParameterBinding.ReadContentAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Type type, IEnumerable`1 formatters, IFormatterLogger formatterLogger)
   at System.Web.Http.ModelBinding.FormatterParameterBinding.<ExecuteBindingAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.HttpActionBinding.<ExecuteBindingAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext(). | RequestID = s_eb4d2447-ac1a-41c0-976a-1f6e00c42089 

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.