Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lesliediaz
Regular Visitor

Error when publishing report from Report builder to Power BI Service workspace

I have the 60 day trial of the PRO license, not sure if it could be the culprit. 

When I try to publish a report to a workspace in the Power BI Service, I get the following error: 

Operation returned an invalid status code 'BadRequest'
ErrorCode: NotCreatedByFormattedTableReport
Details: An unknown error was encountered. Please try again.

To try to fix this, I tried uploading the report file (.rdl) itself to the Power BI service but got the error that I have to convert the workspace setting to "premium per capacity" for sharing within my organization. I tried changing the settings on my workspace to "Premium Per Capacity" but also encountered an error - "Something went wrong, couldn't update the group" - no further detail on what went wrong. I also tried the "Premium" option and that produced an error as well. No option to upload/publish the report to the Power BI Service so far. 

Has anyone run into this issue? How could I resolve it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Thanks for posting the issue. A few things seem unexpected. 

Use of .RDL/Paginated Reports for now is a premium feature, so yes you will need to upload or publish them to a premium workspace. That can either be full premium workspace (joined to an already purchased premium capacity). Or one set to premium per user. 

The error message of NotCreatedByFormattedTable is confusing. That really should note the workspace selected is not premium, as you see when you upload the file directly.  We'll take that feedback to improve.

The trial should give you access to premium-per-user as an option. Also, if you have a purchased capacity, you should be able to use that as well.  

Suggest trying to create a new workspace, set it to premium-per-user, then upload your .RDL file. If that's failing you might consider contacting MSFT support. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Thanks for posting the issue. A few things seem unexpected. 

Use of .RDL/Paginated Reports for now is a premium feature, so yes you will need to upload or publish them to a premium workspace. That can either be full premium workspace (joined to an already purchased premium capacity). Or one set to premium per user. 

The error message of NotCreatedByFormattedTable is confusing. That really should note the workspace selected is not premium, as you see when you upload the file directly.  We'll take that feedback to improve.

The trial should give you access to premium-per-user as an option. Also, if you have a purchased capacity, you should be able to use that as well.  

Suggest trying to create a new workspace, set it to premium-per-user, then upload your .RDL file. If that's failing you might consider contacting MSFT support. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.