Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jmiridium
Helper IV
Helper IV

Error when Refreshing SQL Data

Getting the following error:

SessionID: 7f671cd2-63b8-4c82-9b09-61b6f6269a18
[0] -1055784932: Credentials are required to connect to the SQL source. (Source at entsql01;master.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[1] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[2] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[3] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[4] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[5] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[6] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[7] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

I verified credentials and everything works. What is the issue?
30 REPLIES 30
luis_brenes
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi all!

I had exactly the same problem, yet the solution turned out to be the silliest one.

For each data source, check the name of the server and the database, it seems to be case sensitive when deployed to the server, but not when using the Power BI Desktop.

So, if you have two or more data sources to the same DB, but one is defined as server1;myDB and the other one as server1;mydb (or Server1;myDB versus server1;myDB, or any other permutation), it will certainly fail.

Use the exact connection string already stored in the Power BI Server for the faulty dashboard, modify your data sources with Power BI Desktop, redeploy and retest the refresh, it worked for me.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

LB.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked for me too

I had the same issue and had been struggling for few days.Thanks a lot .Also important was that the case of the data source had to be the same as the case of the DB .

Thanks again .

Hi,

Thanks a lot. In my case also faced the same issue. When i gave the same connection strings all datasets(related), it worked fine.

Thanks & regards,

Vishnu Priya

Anonymous
Not applicable

This saved my life. Thank you very very much luis_brenes!

You MUST ensure that your report has the same numer of data sources in both Desktop and Report server(do not duplicate connections with upper / lower case letters, just keep ONE) and these names ARE CASE SENSITIVE.

I too can confirm that the DB name is case sensitive under certain conditions. 

Thanks, I can confirm that solution works for me too!

that does seem to have done. it. thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable

We seem to have encountered this issue as well.

We have a dataset with a couple of SQL queries onto a SQL DB backend. one query is very simple, the other is a bit of a nightmare as it's doing lots of string manipulation and CASE statements.

I've tried onto other SQL DB's using just tables. Works Fine though runs out of memory now and agian.

I've tried onto other SQL DB's using views (simulating stored queries?). Works fine (used a smaller dataset this time so no memory issues)

Repeated the import of several views from the same version of SQL Server (noticed it was 2008R2 in the report that isn't working) that seems fine.

Am now isolating out different permissions at each end to see if that's somehow related. I haven't got admin access at the far end to run profiler to see the queries as they are arriving alas.

I think the issue might be caused by having more than one of the same data source in the PBIX file where the only difference is a uppercase letter

e.g. I have have two datasources

server1; database1

server1; Database1

I can replicate the issue doing that, can anyone confirm?

I thought you might be on to something. I have aa file with one data source- connected to tables and 1 view- and this is failing.  Happy to send a copy of the PBX over.

I think there might be a relation to using a "Case When" but I don't have the time to prove that unfortunately.

Just proved it is not the case when issue with a simple select getdate, and case when getdate()='2017-01-01' then 1 else 2 END as test.

it refreshed fine.

So I still have a simple model based on 4 tables from the same server one data source to pass credentials to (which suceed) all under the schema "dbo".

I have removed the view which then alloud the data to load OK. but reintroducing the vue is causing it to fail.  I have tried stipping out elements of the view to simplify it, but it was still failing. I am off now for a couple of weeks (lucky me) so hopefully someone else will get this resovled/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I've made slight progress. Still don't what is causing it to error but I've loaded in three views (not using a stored procedure), each time importing a single view, uploading to the report server, scheduling a refresh with success. I've got to three views in and it is still fine so far (fingers crossed for tomorrow).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I've stripped back the entire dashboard and loaded one view at a time. I've reached the point where I have two views from one SQL Server database and a third from a different database. 

The data source option asks quite correctly for 2 authentications to access the data, I enter both, test connections successfully and set the scheduled refresh.

The refresh fails stating the credentials are incorrect. When I check the data sources and test the connections, one fails, so I set the password, test both again successfully, set a new refresh and ....yet, you've guessed it, it fails on exactly the same issue.

I'm just going around in a circle. 

Microsoft.....any advice?

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

After you published the report did you update the credentials in DataSource management page?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. Tried again this morning, uploaded the report using the March 2018 Desktop build. Set the data source, tesed the connection successfully, set a refresh schedule and it still failed.

We need a fix on this ASAP!!!

@Anonymous or @niallhannon can either of you private message me a simple report that can repro the issue? Also in the cases were your getting the issue are there multiple DataSources on the report? If so are they all SQL or is it a mix? Thx!

I can't reproduce- that is kind of the problem. I have one report wikth 4 data sources working correctly, and another with 3 (of the same sources) that fails.  I can't see how to reproduce the problem unfortunately.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. I have a ticket submitted also.

I can't reproduce the error in any other report at all and the current report isn't something I am able to distribute.

The data is coming from 10 views on an SQL Server and I'm pulling them in by executing a stored procedure in the data source SQL statement. We've used this format in other reports and it works fine.

Hi @mgmeyer, I have a ticket submitted via Power BI Pro support, ticket ID is 118032691186025

So I am going to follow up that way and will update here if I get updates.

But yes, there would be multople data sets but all coming from the one SQL server source\database on-premise.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.