Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Error to connect Power BI App using HTTPS on PowerBI Report Server

Hello guys,

I deployed the Power BI Report server using a HTTPS certificate signed by the root certificate of my organization and I am not being able to conect the Power BI app on it using the HTTPS portal.

Some facts:
- I Installed the root certificate on the mobile device, so no HTTPS warnings

- I can access the Power BI Reporting Services with my mobile device using the browser

- If I go to the Power BI Reporting Services Configuration and set up an HTTP portal, I can use it with the mobile normally

- I tested in 2 different devices and 2 different servers with the last version of Power BI Report Server

Config.PNGError message.pngMobile - Browser Portal.png

Is someone else having problems to connect the PowerBI App to a PowerBI Report Server with HTTPS?

10 REPLIES 10
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Then I traced the server port 443 and saw there we have a possible certificate problem. Does Power BI App acepts user installed certificates?

SSL Error.PNG

I assume you are using Android. Have you tried using FQDN to connect? Also, if you have an iOS device, can you try the same scenario?

Hello @valentiniliescu,

on my production server, I have the certificate binded to the FQDN name and the problem is the same. When we tested with iOS, the error message is more complete: it says about the certificate error, but the error captured server side is the same.

Do you have the Power BI Report Server configured via SSL on you organization? It it possible to connect with the app? Is your certificate signed by a root certificate of your organization? (just trying to check if someone else are facing the same problem...)

The workaround I made was to have another URL without HTTPS just for the mobile devices, but we are going to deploy to the users only after solving this HTTPS issue.

For FQDN: have you tried using the FQDN for the server name when trying to connect in the mobile app?

Hello @valentiniliescu, thanks for you answer,

I issued another certificate using the FQDN and reconfigured Power BI Report Server to use the FQDN URL, but as you can see on the screenshots below, the problem persists.

Any idea?

Screenshot_20170726-105515.jpgScreenshot_20170726-105545.jpg

I tried to reproduce your issue - I used the latest Power BI app against an internal Report Server over HTTPS and I was able to connect to it. 

I think you mentioned it in the initial post, but just to make sure - were you able to connect to the Report Server over HTTPS using the mobile browser on the same device?

Hello @valentiniliescu,

thank you so much for trying to reproduce it.

Yes, the screenshots are from the same device. Both navigating using the browser and the error with Power BI App.

I am thinking that it could be a problem with the certificate that I issued. Could you please explain how did you issued the certificate that you are using on Power BI Report Server? Did you changed something on the root certificate before importing it on the Android device?

There is an issue with Android 7.0 (Nougat) and above, it no longer trust user CAs for secure connections by default.

Resources:
Official Android blog post reporting coming change - https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2016/07/changes-to-trusted-certificate.html
The StackOverflow thread - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39215229/how-to-get-charles-proxy-work-with-android-7-nougat/392...
Android developer documentation for Network Security Configuration - https://developer.android.com/training/articles/security-config.html

However, iOS 10.3.3 should work.

Anyway, at this point, I would recomend filing a ticket with Microsoft Customer Service.

Hi , 
did you find any solutions ? 

Petebro
Employee
Employee

We are investigating this issue now to see if we can reproduce it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.