Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RickyRhys
Regular Visitor

Error connecting to Azure Analysis Services from Power BI Report Server

I have created a report in Power BI Desktop (RS edition) and connected it to our Azure Analysis Services Model.

I connected using my Microsoft Account (AAD?) and can run the report without issue.

However, once it's published to our Report Server, when I access it I receive the error:

Couldn't connect

6 REPLIES 6
RickyRhys
Regular Visitor

Nope, missed that 🙂

We've had to move our model in to SSAS on-prem now in.

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @RickyRhys 

Yes, Try to modify the authentication method to basic authentication on the report server. See if this works.

Reference:Power BI report data sources in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If problem still persists, pls let me know.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Hi Janey,

Thanks for your reply.

I am able to connect with Basic Authentication without issue. However, we have RLS enabled on our AAS Model so I need the logged in user to connect as themselves, not the hardcoded user in the report datasource Basic Authentication.

Is this possible?

Hi, @RickyRhys 

If you use desktop for service, You can do it. But I think it’s hard to do it in the report server. Report server is on-premises solution for reporting.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If problem still persists, pls let me know.

Best Regards,

Hi Janey,

According to the Microsoft Documentation, SQL Server Analysis Services is a supported datasource for Power BI Report Server.

RickyRhys_0-1642178311921.png

I still have this issue as it's imperative that we can use Row-Level security for these reports.

Using a hard-coded Username and Password with Basic Authentication is not secure for us.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi, @RickyRhys 

Did you look down?

vjaneygmsft_0-1642643769365.png

Here are the methods you can try:

vjaneygmsft_1-1642643946374.png

If you have new questions, you can re-post a thread, which will make the thread active again and more engineers will participate. I'm no longer in charge of the RS threads, there will be more professional engineers in charge of you.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.