Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

saket_mca1
Frequent Visitor

Error While viewing Report on Power BI Report Server

Power_BI_Error.png

Hi All,

Recently we installed Power BI Reporting Server and used 'Upload' option to upload a Power BI Report on server. This report is built using excel as data source.

Now while opening report it shows error 'Could not load folder Contents'(Screen Attached).

Kindly let me know how to resolve this issue.

Regards

Saket  

3 REPLIES 3
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Currently only live AS connections are supported for Power BI RS Reports (either Analysis Services on-prem or Azure Analysis Services), if you have access to an AS server you can use SSDT to import you Excel model/spreadsheet and host is in AS which would allow you to connect to it with Power BI RS. However uploading of the report should have been blocked since it is not a supported datasource/model; I'll take a look at why it is not catching this. Thanks for reporting this.

Hi mgmeyer,

Thanks for your quick reply. As I am new to Power BI, I am fine in currently Power BI RS support only Live Connection. But what do you mean by Analysis Service. Can we use Oracle on Prem or Redshift as a Data Source with live conenction on Power BI RS.

Regards

Saket

SQL Server Analysis Services is the database/engine that is used to store all data that is rendered in Power BI reports. Power BI Desktop supports creating reports that use an embedded AS model/database as well as connecting to a database that is hosted on a standalone/live Analysis Services server; however, Power BI Report Server currenlty only supports the latter case, we are looking into supporting embedded models but it's not available for the GA release. To your question about supported datasources both Oracle and Redshift are supported datasources in Power BI Desktop but for now if you want to create a report that uses them in Power BI Report Server you can do the following:

• You'll need to have a SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services instance installed or create an Azure Analysis Services server
  • If you currently have an Excel workbook that contains your data you can use SQL Server Data Tools (you can install the latest in VS 2017 in the tools and extensions) to import you Excel/PowerPivot workbook which will create Analysis Services Tabular Model that can be deployed to your on-prem instance or to Azure AS.
  • Once you've deployed your model you can then create a Power BI RS Report that can use your AS model and the deploy your report to your report server

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.