Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kyleegbert
Frequent Visitor

Enable MySQL Data Source Encryption on Reporting Server

I have created a simple power bi report in desktop, connected to an internal MySQL (MariaDB) database, which enforces connecting using SSL (but does not require certificate files).  On desktop, the data load works correctly.  When this report gets saved to our reporting server, I cannot configure the data source for the file to connect using the same credentials & authentication mode.  I am guessing that it isn't using encryption, but needs to, and I can't find a parameter to enable to inform the server to do so.  On the desktop, there is a single checkbox to use encryption, but I cannot find the same option anywhere within the reporting server.

Reporting Server & Desktop Version: August 2018

J67XOe7

jlXicTx

2 REPLIES 2
RobThrive
Resolver I
Resolver I

I know this is an old thread. I had the same issue as @kyleegbert  but couldn't find the solution when using mySQL driver and SSL in PBI. I already had the CA cert installed on the box, the relevent mySQL drivers etc and it all worked perfectly from the PBI desktop client, just not working from report server.

In the end my solution was to create a system DSN (windows start menu --> ODBC), then in PowerBI use ODBC as your data source rather than mySQL. Do this ensures that the system DSN is able to take care of the SSL cert needed, and specify the default database to connect to.

Hope this helps anyone else who stumbles across this post.

Wanted to report that I did the same as @RobThrive but didn't think to update this feed.  Still - I'd love it if it was enabled within PBI directly.  In my company, we share SSAS resources and I need to make a request to have DSN's setup for each and every little connection I need, which isn't ideal for such a common data source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.