Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mtaram
Frequent Visitor

Embedding & Filtering Power BI Report Server Live Connection report

Good evening,  

We have published a report at the on premises Power BI Report Server. We need this report to be embedded to an on premises - as well- web application . The report should interact with the surroundings of the web app in the sense of passing parameters to the report upon users' interactions. The report has been implemented with Live Connection mode (using a tabular model). We test the functionality using a very plain  report but report data is not filtered as expected.

I would like to mention that a few months ago testing the same capability using a report implemented with Import data mode, we got the expected result.

Is filtering through PowerBI Report Server and Live connection reports supported?

Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@mtaram wrote:

Is filtering through PowerBI Report Server and Live connection reports supported?

Yes it is. I just double checked on our production environment running the May 2020 release and this works as expected.

Note that you do need to get the filters exactly right following the documentation If you don't get the syntax correct or encode special characters correctly the filter will not be applied.

Thank you for yout answer. The url is like the following

http://server/bireports/powerbi/Test/ReportName?rs:Embed=true&filter=Tbl1/Field eq 'Product A'

which in the case of the Import mode report had succedded.

Also, we have Power BI Report Server Jan 2020 running on our infrastructure.

Could it be any other prerequisite that I am missing in the case of Live connection?

That should work fine. Do your table or field names have any spaces in them? If so did you encoded them as _x0020_ as per the documentation I linked previously?  eg 'Table Name'[Field Name]  would become Table_x0020_Name/Field_x0020_Name in a url filter

@d_gosbell There are not any spaces included in tables' or fields' names. Nevertheless, filtering is not possible.

mtaram
Frequent Visitor

It seems that my problem was the use of lowercase characters when my table names were in uppercase.

Thank you for your answers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.