Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jimmymitra
Advocate I
Advocate I

Embed Power BI report in web application using Power BI Report Server

Can anybody tell me if I use the on-premise power BI report server option , will I be able to to embed reports into my internal web application ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No and Yes, I will explain:

NO: So far, you cannot use the Power BI role feature for implementing a RLS to filter direct query using the report services

...BUT...

YES: if you have implemented the RLS in the data source (ie: using views that filter the data that the user can see), and your data source are these views. Remember to keep Windows integrated security on the data sources - you may have to configure kerberos delegation if the database is not on the same server as the report server - but this is expected.

(I hope you got it and set this as the answer - because it took me some time testing...heheh)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
mgn_power

Hey @jimmymitra ,

You got solution for the asked question. I have the same requirement now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jimmy,

I know this post is old but we have the same requirement now. Where you able to achieve your requirements? It is not just about the embed=true query string. In our case, the user needs to be able to navigate the power bi report server folders and reports. Where you able to read the folders/reports using some kind of api and then filter the ones that the user has access to while hiding the others?

Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Yes, using an IFrame and setting "?rsembed=true" appended to end of URL. 

got it working in our environment

append

?rs:embed=true

BOOM!

I suggest that you create another topic and add more details about how your application authentication works. Does it uses integrated windows authentication?

Okay , but can I build a solution within Power BI Report Server so that the embedded content shown on the reports need to vary according to the user role (District Manager , Area Manager etc) ,

My client does not want the users to explicitly log-in to Power BI , they will log-in to the internal application where the power BI report will be embedded , Login will use the windows AD authentication.

But user will not log-in explicitly to Power BI , there needs to be some connection string passed to Power BI from the application that will tell Power BI who the user who logged in to the application and viewing the report.

Not all users will have access to all the reports , neither all have access to all the data ,

Please suggest if this kind of solution can be built using Power BI Report Server on premises

I know this can be buit in Power BI report services using Power BI embedded license , but need to check the same can be done with the on-premises solution , if can not be done , then on-premise solution of power BI is of no use to us at this point

Hello @jimmymitra,

Yes, it can be done!

by default, the Power BI Report Server uses windows authentication, so the users are not prompted for logins.

You can filter the data by the Username() functin using the RLS (Row Level Security) feature of the tabular model, and make a live connection of your power BI reports to the Tabular. In my point of view, this is the best approach for your problem 😉

Is it necessary to use tabular model , we are not using SSAS tabular , instead planning to use the Power BI Modelling and direct query to SQL.

I am concerned there might be some challenges with Power BI Report Server ,

And since anyway Premium license is required for this , then why not use more conventional solution -like power BI service in the azure

@jimmymitra wrote:

Is it necessary to use tabular model , we are not using SSAS tabular , instead planning to use the Power BI Modelling and direct query to SQL.

No, it is not necessary, you can do it with multidimensional too. I am not sure about embeded power BI models - need to test. Regarding to SQL direct queries and RLS, this is in preview, so I believe that it works only on the cloud

I am concerned there might be some challenges with Power BI Report Server ,

We are using it since the first releases and no problems so far (I have to say: It is working gracefully), but we have a team already experienced with Microsoft BI.

And since anyway Premium license is required for this , then why not use more conventional solution -like power BI service in the azure

You can have it with SQL Server Enterprise + SA. Maybe you are the best guy to answer if you need it on cloud or on premisses.

Thanks a lot for the clarification ,

Just to ensure I understand correctly the below statement -

No, it is not necessary, you can do it with multidimensional too. I am not sure about embeded power BI models - need to test. Regarding to SQL direct queries and RLS, this is in preview, so I believe that it works only on the cloud

So does it mean Direct Query to SQL database and RLS is not supported in the latest release of Power BI report server , If that is the case we can not use it as we have requirement for both direct query and RLS

No and Yes, I will explain:

NO: So far, you cannot use the Power BI role feature for implementing a RLS to filter direct query using the report services

...BUT...

YES: if you have implemented the RLS in the data source (ie: using views that filter the data that the user can see), and your data source are these views. Remember to keep Windows integrated security on the data sources - you may have to configure kerberos delegation if the database is not on the same server as the report server - but this is expected.

(I hope you got it and set this as the answer - because it took me some time testing...heheh)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.