Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email Subscription Service Failures

We are currently using the On-Premise (August 2018) verison of Power BI Report Server.  We routinely (daily) experience failures of numerous subscription reports during various times of the day/night.  There are times when several of the same reports fail daily but others may fail also. The failures are intermittent and don't exhibit any specific pattern. When we re-schedule the reports to run almost immediately, sometimes we receive subsequent failures and sometimes the reports running successfully.

The following error message shows up for each failure:

ERROR: Error sending email. Exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: The server committed a protocol violation The server response was:

at System.Net.Mail.SendMailAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.SendMailCallback(IAsyncResult result)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.EmailDeliveryProvider.EmailProvider.Deliver(Notification notification)

---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: The server committed a protocol violation The server response was:

at System.Net.Mail.SendMailAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.SendMailCallback(IAsyncResult result)<---

. Additional Information: SmtpException StatusCode:GeneralFailure

Unfortuantely, the error is very vague and is extremly difficult to troubleshoot - even with Verbose logging. Due to this on-going problem, we have to re-run up to about 20 reports daily. We have conducted extensive research and analysis of our report and SMTP server configurations but are still unable to resolve this annoying problem.

If anyone has experienced this issue and/or can provide some insight on how to permanently solve it, please let me know as soon as possible.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm replying to myself since I have find a solution.

I have applied method 2 described in the article below:

https://businesswintelligence.com/content/108/office-365-remote-party-closed-transport-stream

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We are experiencing the exact same issue with smtp.office365.com configured.

See below a snippet of the rsreportserver.config:

maxbarj_0-1642612684727.png

The Power BI RS support was unable to help me and asked to open a ticket to the Exchange team.

Anyone has a solution ?

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.