Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pdeville
Advocate I
Advocate I

Effective user name on SSAS direct query datasources in PBIRS

I am testing SSAS direct query data sources in PBIRS and it appear it does not use effective user name.

Is this the expected behaviour?

This coulds be an issue for my client, when the users don't use kerberos to connect to PBIRS; In this situation kerberos delegation is not possible and the user can't view dashboards connected to remote SSAS server in direct query.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As a workaround, on SSAS data sources, we can specify a windows account for the connection and force the "log on as the connected user" to apply an effective user name on the SSAS connection and apply the role based access rights defined in SSAS cubes.

This only work for SSAS data sources. To my knowledge, there is no workaround for SQL DB and other data sources.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pdeville,

Is there any reason you can't configure Kerberos? From this article, if the SSAS server and PBI RS in different machine, Kerberos is required: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well, in my current project, PBIRS will be exposed through internet (no kerberos here), and my client feels instaling WAP + ADFS is to complex and not realy required.

As a workaround, on SSAS data sources, we can specify a windows account for the connection and force the "log on as the connected user" to apply an effective user name on the SSAS connection and apply the role based access rights defined in SSAS cubes.

This only work for SSAS data sources. To my knowledge, there is no workaround for SQL DB and other data sources.

Hi, Please could you be very specific about how the following was accomplished : "force the "log on as the connected user" to apply an effective user name on the SSAS connection". 

Thanks

Inayat Khan

Hi,

It's an option when you edit the SSAS datasource in PowerBI RS.

"Log in using theses credentials, but then try to impoersonate the user viewing the report".

DataSource SSAS EffectiveUserName.png

Thank you "pdeville". However this appears a different connection type to the the Gateway Clusters and the Analysis services connection set up on the Power BI Service.This is shown below. Could you elaborate on the connection type that you showed?

Gateway Clusters.PNG

This topic is about Power BI Report Server (or PBIRS), the on-premise version of Power BI, not the cloud version.

Theses are two differents products

Since it is a on-premise solution, PBIRS does not use the data gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.