Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RodrigoMachado
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic RLS works in Power BI Desktop, but does not in Power BI Service

Hi everyone,

I have searched for similar problems in the forum, but didn't find any situation exactly like this:

I have created a simple dynamic RLS on my PBI Desktop: UserID = USERNAME(), also tried with UserID = USERPRINCIPLENAME().

I tested that on "View as Role" and it worked as expected.

However, when I upload it to Power BI Report Server, all the charts show a "Blank" message.

So I went ahead and tested using a static RLS, like this: UserID = user@usercompany.com and it worked!

Any advice on what I have to do to solve the problem of the dynamic rls?

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RodrigoMachado ,

Based on my test, if the user has no access, the report visuals should show as below:

rls.PNG

And only if the user has access but no corresponding data in the report, then some visuals will show as this:

rls2.JPG

However, when I upload it to Power BI Report Server, all the charts show a "Blank" message.

I can't reproduce your issue of showing "Blank" message.

What's the version of your Report Server? My test version is:

Power BI Report Server: 1.10.7698.27886 (January 2021)

Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server): 2.88.2361.0 (January 2021).

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Did you add users in below 

you can go to this by right-clicking reporting and then Manage-->

FarhanAhmed_1-1617076001120.png

Add your users there and hopefully, all will be able to view charts and data that has been assigned to them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

@FarhanAhmedthank you for you answer. I've added myself to the Row level security, but all cards show a message of "blank" and all charts are blank.

When I use the "View as Role"  in the Power BI Desktop the dynamic RLS works. When I upload it to the report server it does not, and when I download the version I just uploaded and test the View as Role again it does not work anymore...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.