Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

theDarkPrince
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dynamic Paginated Report in Power BI Report Builder

Hello everyone. Till now, I have worked only with Power BI Desktop application. However, now, I need to create a paginated report that will get delivered to users' mailbox automatically everyday. I searched around a little bit and discovered Power BI Report Builder tool. However, I find it extremely unintuitive (compared to PBI Desktop) and the documentation is not as clear as that for PBI Desktop.

Basically, I am fetching data which looks like below (from SQL Server) -

theDarkPrince_0-1645189270501.png

What I want to do is have a paginated report created which will have X number of pages in it, where X = no. of distinct BUs found in the records. Each page in the report should have the BU name mentioned at the top. The first page should show the Total Aggregated Amount (ALL BUs combined). I plan on showing a line chart on each page. So, for my dataset shown above, the report should contain 4 pages - 1. Total, 2. EX1, 3. EX2 and 4. EX3.

Everyday, at a certain time, the report generation process should start and create a PDF of this report and deliever to the users' mailbox. What I wonder is - are all of these things possible with Power BI Report Builder ? If so, could someone guide me through the process of report design. I have tried following a couple of articles I found on the web (links shared below) but no luck getting things the way I want 'em. Any help is appreciated.

Article1 Article2
@d_gosbell @josef78 @lbendlin 

Thanks in advacne,

Nachiket P.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@theDarkPrince wrote:

What I wonder is - are all of these things possible with Power BI Report Builder ?

Yes, Report Builder should be able to do everything you have described without a problem

@theDarkPrince wrote:

If so, could someone guide me through the process of report design.

No, I don't think so. As you've already noticed, Report Builder is much more complex and is more of a developer tool. While it might only take someone with experience and hour or two to build out your report it would take days to screenshot and document the process in enough detail to teach someone else how it was done.

Getting a full understanding of the features and capabilities of paginated reports is not something that can be shared in a forum post. So you have a couple of possible options that I can think of roughly aligned from cheapest to most expensive (although I'm not sure about the order of the last 2):

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@theDarkPrince wrote:

What I wonder is - are all of these things possible with Power BI Report Builder ?

Yes, Report Builder should be able to do everything you have described without a problem

@theDarkPrince wrote:

If so, could someone guide me through the process of report design.

No, I don't think so. As you've already noticed, Report Builder is much more complex and is more of a developer tool. While it might only take someone with experience and hour or two to build out your report it would take days to screenshot and document the process in enough detail to teach someone else how it was done.

Getting a full understanding of the features and capabilities of paginated reports is not something that can be shared in a forum post. So you have a couple of possible options that I can think of roughly aligned from cheapest to most expensive (although I'm not sure about the order of the last 2):

Hello @d_gosbell, thanks for taking the time out to read through my post. I will comb through the links resources that you've shared. Appreciate the time and starightforward answer. 😜

Regards,

Nachiket

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.