Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

calleking
Regular Visitor

Downloaded report from Report Server contains old data

Hey all,

We have deployed a report to our Power BI Report Server. It's succesfully refreshing every morning and the latest data is visible when running the report in the portal. This is the between date filter showing selectable dates for the data:

pbidatum.PNG

Once downloaded and opened up the report shows that the latest data is a couple of months old. Refreshing the report in the Power BI Desktop makes the data pop up just like what is visible when running the report on the Report Server portal.

pbiold.PNG

Why is this happening? Why does a report that contains fresh data suddenly show old data?

March 21th is about the date when i first deployed the report to the portal. Does downloading the report initiate a download of the report with old cached data? Report has not been changed since first deploy if that makes a difference. I have not redeployed the report to test if that fixes it as that would mean that to keep the report up to date in terms of data (when downloaded) we'd have to redeploy it every time it refreshes. I'm currently asking my users to use the report through the portal. It's not the end of the world but still a bit strange in my opinion.

We're running Power BI Report Server Enterprise Edition March 2018.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @calleking, this is the expected behavior. When you edit the report, you will be working with the file (and data) from the time that you saved it on PBIRS. The data refreshed on the PBIRS stays there and when you save the file, you will need to refresh it again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @calleking, this is the expected behavior. When you edit the report, you will be working with the file (and data) from the time that you saved it on PBIRS. The data refreshed on the PBIRS stays there and when you save the file, you will need to refresh it again.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I really didn't expect the data to "stay" on PBIRS. I expected the data refresh to overwrite the PBIX-file residing on PBIRS when a data refresh occured. Anyway, there's not much point of me trying to find a workaround for this 🙂

I guess Power Users will have to have DB credentials added so that they can update the report from the PBI Desktop themselves.

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors