Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Download and install Power BI Desktop via Report Server@AWS

I intend to download and install the BI desktop in the Report Server @ AWS. 

Microsoft Install Power BI Desktop for Power BI Report Server

fciiusa_0-1673539632626.png

Attempt to download/install Power BI desktop after Report Server database initialisation

fciiusa_1-1673539854214.png

Our Cloud admin installed a trial version of Power BI Report Server. 

Can you confirm that problem (Power BI Desktop missing in my Report Server) suggests a license issue (BI premium or SQL Sever EE with SA is required) ?   

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So in the second screenshot from your first post you can clearly see that it says SQL Server Reporting Services. I cannot tell much from your second post since the 2 servers both use the same configuration utility as they are based on a shared core set of services and the configuration steps are identical.

But what is not clear to me is that if you want to connect to Remedyforce - why are you installing a Report Server at all? The on-prem Report Server is designed for situations where customer have data that is not allowed to be accessed via a cloud service. So they keep their data on-prem and the run report server on-prem. 

So if your data is already in a cloud service then it would be much easier (and possibly much cheaper) to just use the Power BI Cloud service https://app.powerbi.com. Plus the cloud service has more features and is update more frequently than the on-prem Report Server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the Power BI Service the same as your mentioned Power BI Cloud Service?  Power BI Service is also my preferred and proposed solution. 

My understanding is that Power BI Service requires the Pro version as a start.  Is it right?  So I can't see anything from the link you provided. 

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding is that Power BI Service requires the Pro version as a start.  Is it right?  So I can't see anything from the link you provided. 

That is correct. You can find information on the Pro version here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-pro/ 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will look into the Power BI Service. 

At this stage, I am positive that the Cloud admin installed SSRS instead of Power BI Report Server.

My last question is if there is trial version of Power BI Report Server in AWS.  

Thanks.

@Anonymous wrote:

My last question is if there is trial version of Power BI Report Server in AWS.  

I don't know, I don't really do anything in AWS. But there is a trial version of PBIRS so you could create a Windows Server VM and install that. 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This is not a licensing issue, your admin has not installed Power BI Report Server they have installed SQL Server Reporting Services instead and this does not include the ability to use Power BI reports, it just renders paginated reports.

They will need to uninstall the SQL Server Reporting Services and get the correct installer from here Power BI Report Server | Microsoft Power BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. What the Cloud Admin originally installed in AWS was below image.

He insisted that he installed a Power BI Report Server but I pointed out to him that he installed "Report Server (it is a SQL Server)".

fciiusa_0-1673563466992.png

I reviewed the doc https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/install-report-server 

and tried some of functions in the Next steps

fciiusa_2-1673563850481.png

What I tried: 

fciiusa_1-1673563676768.png

When I clicked below URL, it gave me a SQL Server Reporting Services

fciiusa_3-1673564061483.png

But none of above is even slightly close to what I have/need in my local Power BI + Remedyforce application, visually or funtionally.  

fciiusa_4-1673564330465.png

Can you review and confirm if the Cloud Admin actually installed a SQL Server Report Service NOT a Power BI Report Server?  I really don't need a SQL Server at the moment. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.