Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alqithmi

Download & Modify a report from Power BI server which you don't have access to its data source

Hello Everyone,

Kindly I need your help to answer the below questions regarding PBIRS

Connection scenarioConnection scenario

I have the following scenario: Usar A has access from his personal PC to "x data source", and he created a report by using the data from this "x data source". Then he uploaded this report to the PBIRS. Please notice that the PBIRS also has an access connection to the  "x data source",  and User B only has access to the PBIRS but not the "x data source".

1. If User B downloaded the report (which was created by User A) on his personal PC, can he has access to the "x data source" and refresh the report only because he has access to PBIRS?
  2. Will User B be able to modify the report on his personal PC even if he doesn't have access to the data source of the report? if yes, then if he uploaded the report to the server again, will we be able to make the "pre-set refresh job" to refresh the report again?

Thank you so much in advance 😀

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KBO
MVP

Hi @alqithmi ,

first you have to differentiate between work on a report in Power BI Desktop and work on a report in Power Query. If the user downloads the report and is not permitted to the datasource he can't work in the Power Query editor. Also you can enable this function by giving the User the right roles or folders.

So yes the User can modify the reprot but only the frontend - switch the visuals make new KPIs etc. (if the datasource is imported otherwise it wont work because the user must authenticate if its a direct query).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
KBO
MVP

Hi @alqithmi ,

first you have to differentiate between work on a report in Power BI Desktop and work on a report in Power Query. If the user downloads the report and is not permitted to the datasource he can't work in the Power Query editor. Also you can enable this function by giving the User the right roles or folders.

So yes the User can modify the reprot but only the frontend - switch the visuals make new KPIs etc. (if the datasource is imported otherwise it wont work because the user must authenticate if its a direct query).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.