Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pmurz
Advocate III
Advocate III

Does anyone know why "Map and filled map visuals" should be disabled or turned off at the org level?

I suddenly had my web published reports stop showing MAP visuals.   I had to go in to the Admin portal for my domain and turn on these visuals.   This was not obvious or easy (see images below).  I have two questions:
1) Is there some particular security reason that these specific visuals have to be separately enabled?   

2) Does anyone know why this would be set to "disabled"?   

Thanks!

pmurz_1-1636477896649.png

pmurz_0-1636477741614.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pmurz Because these visuals communicate with Bing maps, an "external" entity, some organizations may consider this a security risk.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
VerMediaGroup

I know this is incredibly late, but hopefully this can help someone in the future.

You can access the PowerBI Admin Panel by..

Open PowerBI (Browser Vers)>Click Gear Icon in Top Right Corner > Click Admin Panel > Scroll down until you see "Map and Filled Map Visuals" > Click "Enable"

One additional step:  After making the above setting change, you need to refresh the browser view to finally get rid of the error message and have the map show.

SharonFry
Regular Visitor

Thanks to @pmurz's description of the issue and info provided by @Greg_Deckler, I was able to find some more info to fully resolve the issue! I've done it in my own tenant and it worked; it took effect within probably 5 minutes.

On the Admin Portal, here's the setting for the tenant:
SharonFry_0-1655776137857.png

You may need to refresh the web page for Power BI Service (web app).

For Power BI Desktop, there's another setting under File > Options and settings > Options:

SharonFry_3-1655776382460.png

Here's some supporting info that helped me:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-february-2022-feature-summary/#post-18588-_Toc9541...

-Sharon

Hi @SharonFry @Greg_Deckler when I click the Admin Portal on the PowerBI Web Option, it doesn't show me these settings. I only see these options in the PowerBI Desktop Option. 

Did you get any response? I also have power bi pro trial and I when I try to access Admin Portal I can't see what @SheronFry shared.

@USAONEBIZ My apologies for not seeing your request over a year ago until I got a notification for this reply from @TheBIaccount99!

I'm not clear what you meant by "when I click the Admin Portal on the PowerBI Web Option" or "when I try to access Admin Portal" but in my post, the "Power BI Admin Portal" (displayed in my first screenshot) is accessed via the Microsoft 365 admin center. Only tenant administrators have access to this, and specifically, must have the Power Platform admin role (or it's included in the Global Admin role). Here's some info: About admin roles in the Microsoft 365 admin center (opens in new page) 

If you don't already know you have M365 Admin rights, then you likely don't, so you'll need to contact the M365 Administrators for your organization.

I hope this helps!

dbyrd

@Greg_Deckler  - Thanks for the response to this, I was encountering the same thing.  We are new to Power BI and already have users trying to create maps.  As the admin I wanted to ask (before I enable this functionality) are you aware of any of these risks that other companies may have?  In a breif search I wasnt able to really find any documented questions or notes about the topic one way or the other.  

Thanks!

@dbyrd It's really more about companies having policies about information being sent to external networks. The actual security risk is incredibly low if not non-existent.

Latest book!:

GevorkC

Same problem, access to admin portal is not available for me 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pmurz Because these visuals communicate with Bing maps, an "external" entity, some organizations may consider this a security risk.

Latest book!:

Thank you, @Greg_Deckler, that makes sense.   Quesion: Do you know why after many months of maps working fine and never touching the Admin portal, I had to suddenly go in and authorize the use of maps?  Do you know if this was an across the board change at MS -or- would something have changed with my account to suddenly require this step?  Thanks for any insight if you have it.     

@pmurz Almost certainly a tenant setting that Microsoft added recently. They do that quite a bit actually. The number of tenant settings has grown tremendously in recent years.

Latest book!:

Do these settings even exist for non-premium users? It looks like they're effectively turned off the feature for Power BI desktop users:

fedderw_0-1647293037964.png

You can also change these settings in the options menu in the desktop version, under the Security sub-menu

The settings are there for non-premium. My organization uses pro licenses. The issue you're seeing is because you're not listed as a Power BI administrator for your tenant.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.