Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jrussi1301
Frequent Visitor

Does Report Server support Many to Many relationships?

Case yes: Why Power BI Desktop RS doesn't it?

Case no: How is it running right now on my on-premise server? I did it using the normal version of the Power BI Desktop. And it is running clean, no fails. Can't find any difference between it and the same report running on the cloud service. And also in this case, is there a roadmap to it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Jrussi1301 wrote:

Because you cannot configure many to many using the RS version of Desktop this will mean this feature is not officially supported. 

Case no: How is it running right now on my on-premise server? I did it using the normal version of the Power BI Desktop. And it is running clean, no fails. Can't find any difference between it and the same report running on the cloud service. And also in this case, is there a roadmap to it?

This happens from time to time. It could mean that MS have started work on supporting this feature. Or it could be a side effect of other updates to the tabular engine behind PBIRS. I have not seen any official announcements from MS on why they don't support m2m in PBIRS or whether it is on the roadmap for a future release.

But the fact that you cannot configure this in Power BI Desktop for Report Server means that if you have any issues (such as crashes or wrong numbers being calculated or if it stops working in future) - that if you ring Microsoft for support that they will not be able to help you. They will just tell you to stop using that configuration in your models and to only use the features available in Power BI Desktop for Report Server 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jrussi1301 ,

Please let us know if the reply above is helpful.

If it is, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Icey

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Jrussi1301 wrote:

Because you cannot configure many to many using the RS version of Desktop this will mean this feature is not officially supported. 

This happens from time to time. It could mean that MS have started work on supporting this feature. Or it could be a side effect of other updates to the tabular engine behind PBIRS. I have not seen any official announcements from MS on why they don't support m2m in PBIRS or whether it is on the roadmap for a future release.

But the fact that you cannot configure this in Power BI Desktop for Report Server means that if you have any issues (such as crashes or wrong numbers being calculated or if it stops working in future) - that if you ring Microsoft for support that they will not be able to help you. They will just tell you to stop using that configuration in your models and to only use the features available in Power BI Desktop for Report Server 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors