Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Document DB refresh connection

Hi there,

I'm using the Azure Document DB connector to import data into a report that I'm building in PBI Desktop and publishing to PBIRS. As far as I can tell, the most direct way is to refresh my data is to open the report in PBI Desktop, refresh the connection there, and resave it to the report server. Can anyone confirm this, or otherwise suggest an alternate solution? 

I read a rather complicated-sounding solution involving using Apache Spark to implement DirectQuery and I would rather not do that. I don't need the data to sync immediately; I just want to be able to schedule refreshes. The Refresh button in the online report server doesn't seem to update the data. 

Thanks! 

Liane

2 REPLIES 2
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

If the data source supports basic auth, with user/pass info on the connection string, you can see if refresh will work. I believe DocDB uses AAD authentication which the server does not currently support, so a-sync refreshes will fail to authenticate. When you view it in PowerBI desktop, you are authenticated to the DB as yourself. 

There is a 3rd party tool http://poweronbi.com/power-update/ power update which essentially automates the download, refresh, update workflow for you. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jon! Have you happened to use Power Update with PBIRS? It seems like it works great, except when it comes to publishing over an existing report. I've got a message out to their support but thought you might have come across this as well.

Best,

Liane

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.