Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Spartan
Frequent Visitor

Do assigned users to roles remain after a new version is published?

For my own interest I wondered if I have a Dashbord Published for people to use in the browser through the reporting server, and this dashboard has RLS implemented, meaning that there are a few roles where users are assigned to.

This is working all fine and the users only see information they should.

If I update the dashboard because of certain changes like a new graphic, and publish this new version under the same name etc. so that the link itself does not change for users, do I also need to re-assign each user to their role, or will this automatically be taken over? 

Thanks for any answers!

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Spartan , 

To my knowledge, you will still need to re-create Row Level Security (RLS) after republishing report to Power BI  even if you use USERNAME () function with RLS. you will lose all row-level security after republishing report.

If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may  vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Thanks for the answer, but I believe we mean different things here. That the actual roles need to be set up is clear to me so that they can be taken over in the Published version.

What I mean is, when the Dashboard/Report is published so users can use it in their browser, users need to be added to the Workspace itself, as well as be assigned to a role. Do I need to add those users to the roles every time a new version of the report is published? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.