cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlg551
Regular Visitor

Displaying a text column in a measure/matrix

Hello,

I have a measure I am using in a matrix as kind of a summary for multiple companies. I am using switch for the column headers and then I have multiple different CALCULATION functions for displaying what I need.

However I am having trouble displaying a column that is supposed to show the category for the companies. The data is text. I have tried SELECTEDVALUE and that works if I have slicer and pick that specific category but I want to show the matrix for all categories at the same time, any ideas?

Thanks 🙂 

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hlg551 

Since the category table and company are well related. Instead of create a switch measure. You can just use 2 columns with other 2 measures{"sum" and "sum of two things") in a table visual.

V-pazhen-msft_0-1620698065373.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-pazhen-msft 
Thank you for your suggestion.

It is only my sample that is so simple, I just created it this way to show what I wanted from the category column, my real measure has a lot more in it so I need to try to keep the SWITCH sentence in.  

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hlg551 

Can you explain with example. I cannot fully understand your situation. Maybe provide a sample table and expected output.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

@V-pazhen-msft 

Yes, I'll try to explain this better. I have a matrix where I am showing information about various companies. The companies are in the rows and the columns is a SWITCH sentence where I calculate various things I want to show. What I am having problem with is displaying the category of each company. I need to find a function that allows me to display a string in a measure, similar to SELECTEDVALUE but I don't want to have to filter for a specific category I want to show all of them at the same time.

I tried to create a sample for what I am trying to do.
This is what I want it to look like:

hlg551_0-1620652637285.png

This is my measure:

hlg551_1-1620652700610.png

My tables are connected through IDs:

hlg551_2-1620652755430.png

hlg551_4-1620652778561.png

hlg551_5-1620652789764.png

So I want to display the Category name for every company in my matrix. 

I hope this explains it better, any help would be appriciated 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - September 30th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.