Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmaster
Regular Visitor

Disconnect between Desktop & Report Server

Good afternoon,

We're currently using PBI Report Server  (1.5.7074.36177 (May 2019)) and have downloaded the May2019 version of PBI Desktop that is pushed by the download link on PBIRS. 

However, when we attempt to sign in to PBI in Desktop (either by the Sign In link, or when attempting to connect to a PBI Dataset), we are taken through the following steps:
1. "Sign In" screen asking for username. When this is input,

2. "Sign up for a Power BI account" screen.  When we click "Sign up for Power BI",

3. The "Get Started" webpage (at signup.microsoft.com), which autopopulates the same username entered earlier. When "Sign Up" is clicked,

4. "You have an account with us" screen, asking us to finish signing up by signing in with existing password. When "Sign in" is clicked,

5. "No need to sign up" screen pops up, indicating we already have a license for Power BI, however, when "OK" is clicked,

6. We're taken to the PBI Service page, not our PBI Report Server. And PBI Desktop is still not signed in, nor can it access PBIRS datasets.

The only reason I can think that this may be happening is that prior to having the correct May 2019 Desktop version, we were using one of the other versions of Desktop, and may have signed in there? Is there anything we can do to allow PBI Desktop to log in properly for it to connect to the PBIRS datasets?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Master

Business Analyst - Information Technology

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mmaster wrote:

What I am unable to do is select any of the Report Server datasets when Getting Data, because PBI Desktop then attempts to "log me in" which leads to the steps I detailed.

This would be because PBI Report Server does not currently support shared datasets.

So PBI Desktop is trying to sign you in to powerbi.com to connect you datasets stored there.

Your only real option for sharing tabular models on-prem is to develop those models in SSDT and deploy them to an on-prem Analysis Services tabular instance (if you have one)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KBO
MVP

Hi @mmaster ,

I think this really confusing that you are able to choose dataset in the PBI Desktop optimized for Report Server. But at the moment there is no dataset available on the Report Server like @d_gosbell  mentioned. 

The only way is to connect to a SSAS (Analysis Service) and push the Data into a Cube to use this as dataset 🙂 also like @d_gosbell told.

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

KBO
MVP

Hi @mmaster ,

are you able to upload files to your Power BI Report Server from the Server directly? 

Best,

Kathrin

mmaster
Regular Visitor

Yes, I am

KBO
MVP

Hi @mmaster ,

so If I understand you arn't able to connect to the Power BI Reports Server?

1) You need the Power BI Desktop which is for the Power BI Report Server (In your case this one)

2) If you like to publish a report go to file - save as - on report Server - than choose your URL where you report server is

1A0dA.png

If you Sign in with your account you will connect with the Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com) this is the cloud version of Power BI :).

Best,

Kathrin

mmaster
Regular Visitor

Kathrin,

I believe you may have misunderstood my issue. I am able to publish to the PBI Report Server. What I am unable to do is select any of the Report Server datasets when Getting Data, because PBI Desktop then attempts to "log me in" which leads to the steps I detailed.

Thank you,

Michael

@mmaster wrote:

What I am unable to do is select any of the Report Server datasets when Getting Data, because PBI Desktop then attempts to "log me in" which leads to the steps I detailed.

This would be because PBI Report Server does not currently support shared datasets.

So PBI Desktop is trying to sign you in to powerbi.com to connect you datasets stored there.

Your only real option for sharing tabular models on-prem is to develop those models in SSDT and deploy them to an on-prem Analysis Services tabular instance (if you have one)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.