Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
leg4ne Visitor
Visitor

Direct query from SQL Server Database does not work in Power BI Server

Hi,

I created a report in the September 2017 release of PowerBI using a direct query data connection from a SQL Server Database table. When I upload the .pbix file into the Report Server, I get this general error when the data is loading:

Unable to load the model
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Request ID3b7cc562-3dbe-26c8-fd74-6b79700c98ea
TimeThu Oct 19 2017 10:34:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version14.0.600.398

I am not sure what the issue is. When I upload data from the same table using import, it works fine. Can someone please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jon-Heide Established Member
Established Member

Re: Direct query from SQL Server Database does not work in Power BI Server

Direct query connections do not yet work on PowerBI Report Server. You'll have to import your data first then upload, or offload to analysis services server for the moment. Stay tuned for an upcoming release which supports DQ data sources. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jon-Heide Established Member
Established Member

Re: Direct query from SQL Server Database does not work in Power BI Server

Direct query connections do not yet work on PowerBI Report Server. You'll have to import your data first then upload, or offload to analysis services server for the moment. Stay tuned for an upcoming release which supports DQ data sources. 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 132 members 1,843 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: