Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sgovindarajula
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query report is breaking in Report Server October Version

Hi There....

We have built Power BI Report by connecting to SQL Server with Direct Query mode. When we published to Report Server, the report broke and it is not working. 

We tried to change the datasources settings, but it is greyed out and not allowing us to do anything.

P.S: We know that Power BI supports Direct Query  by connecting to SQL Server with October Report server version.

Please let us know if there is an bug with current release. Request your assistance.

Thanks,
Santosh

6 REPLIES 6
filodata

Hi Santosh,

we have the same issue here. Did you resolved the problem ?

Thanks.

Philippe

Same here, is there any solution yet?

thanks

Are you using logged in user or a fixed user for the direct query?

If it is set "As the user viewing the report" you have to make sure that it works to pass the credentials.

Have you tried test the connection on the manage screen? And if so does it work there. If not then you might get a better error message there.

If you get this message:

"Couldn't connect

"

Then it means you are not passing credentials correctly. I get  this problem in Chrome on my computer but Edge and IE works.

Hi,

We are using logged in user for the direct query. And once we publish it to report server, we don't have option to impersonate the user. The entire data sources tab under Manage Report is greyed out.

Thanks

-S

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sgovindarajula,

I could publish a Power BI report with SQL Server Direct Query to Report Server. I worked fine on web portal. In your scenario, did you get any error when publishing or when opening report on portal? Please try to upload report directly from web portal to see whether it works. Also, does this problem occur to other Power BI reports with different data source?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Thanks for the response. It is failing with the below error in report server. Tried uploading the PBI file directly in the report server but no luck. The report is working fine in the power bi desktop. Everytime we open the report in Desktop, it is asking for us to validate or continue and then it starts rendering the visuals. I hope this isn't an issue. 

And also we could see under data source settings, persist security info=False but when we tried to change it, the data source setiings option is greyed out in report server.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

ReportServer_error.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.