Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Differences Between Power BI Desktop (default) and Power BI desktop June edition for report server?

Where can i see the differences between these 2 versions of Power BI desktop?

Also if you develop reports in the default version and upload the report to report server manually, is there any negative impact?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vanessafvg,

If you want to publish report from desktop to Power BI Report Server, you have to download and install Power BI Desktop optimized for Power BI Report Server. This is needed to make sure that the report server can indirect with a known version of the reports and model. You can see that default desktop version doesn't provide such an option "Save as Power BI Report Server".

However, based on my test, we can directly upload a pbix file created in default desktop from report server web portal. The report works fine on web portal, I didn't find any nagetive impact now.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu 

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft great thanks so its only the publish really thats the benefit?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

I wrote a blog article highlighting several differences between these two versions:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2018/02/19/understanding-the-differences-between-power-bi...

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.