cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Developing Paginated reports from Visual Studio instead of Report builder?

I have been researching about Paginated reports for Power Bi and a lot of the information says that they use the standard SSRS report format (.rdl) but that you have to use Report Builder to author the Paginated reports. I am still waiting on access to my development environment so i cant test this out, but i want to know if i can build Paginated reports in Visual Studio as i would for a SSRS report or if i need Report Builder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Developing Paginated reports from Visual Studio instead of Report builder?

I was finally able to test out both methods, and i wanted to post an update incase anyone else was searching on this topic. You are able to use Visual studio for this as well as Power BI Report Builder, so chose the tool you are more comfortable with and you are good to go.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I was finally able to test out both methods, and i wanted to post an update incase anyone else was searching on this topic. You are able to use Visual studio for this as well as Power BI Report Builder, so chose the tool you are more comfortable with and you are good to go.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

You areis mostly correct. Both tools can generate RDL supported for the service.

PBI Report Builder has the one advantage in that it is targeting supporting only the features available in the service. For example, PBIRB does not enable new development of sub reports, although it will allow edit of existing reports with sub reports.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

In Visual Studio, are you able to build a Paginated Report using a published Power BI Dataset (in a Premium Capacity) as a Data Source?

If so, what steps need to be taken to create the Data Source in Visual Studio to connect to the Power BI Dataset?

I've created many SSRS reports in the past targeting Analysis Services as a data source, but using Power BI Report Builder is a painful process.  It is very slow for me and crashes often.  If it's possible to use the more stable toolset of Visual Studio rather than Power BI Report Builder, I would like to do so.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I was able to get this working in Visual Studio using the XMLA endpoint, but it was a little tricky.  It gave connection errors that I had to ignore, then go to the seperate Credentials page on the Data Source Properties and set it to "Prompt for credentials" in order for the connection to the Power BI Premium Dataset to work.

However, I ran in to the sames issues in Visual Studio as I did in Power BI Report Builder which is the issue here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Paginated-Report-Builder-Dataset-run-error-S...

I will reply to that thread to continue the conversation.

Thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors