Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Developing Paginated reports from Visual Studio instead of Report builder?

I have been researching about Paginated reports for Power Bi and a lot of the information says that they use the standard SSRS report format (.rdl) but that you have to use Report Builder to author the Paginated reports. I am still waiting on access to my development environment so i cant test this out, but i want to know if i can build Paginated reports in Visual Studio as i would for a SSRS report or if i need Report Builder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was finally able to test out both methods, and i wanted to post an update incase anyone else was searching on this topic. You are able to use Visual studio for this as well as Power BI Report Builder, so chose the tool you are more comfortable with and you are good to go.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SatoriJason
Frequent Visitor

In Visual Studio, are you able to build a Paginated Report using a published Power BI Dataset (in a Premium Capacity) as a Data Source?

If so, what steps need to be taken to create the Data Source in Visual Studio to connect to the Power BI Dataset?

I've created many SSRS reports in the past targeting Analysis Services as a data source, but using Power BI Report Builder is a painful process.  It is very slow for me and crashes often.  If it's possible to use the more stable toolset of Visual Studio rather than Power BI Report Builder, I would like to do so.

I was able to get this working in Visual Studio using the XMLA endpoint, but it was a little tricky.  It gave connection errors that I had to ignore, then go to the seperate Credentials page on the Data Source Properties and set it to "Prompt for credentials" in order for the connection to the Power BI Premium Dataset to work.

However, I ran in to the sames issues in Visual Studio as I did in Power BI Report Builder which is the issue here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Paginated-Report-Builder-Dataset-run-error-S...

I will reply to that thread to continue the conversation.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was finally able to test out both methods, and i wanted to post an update incase anyone else was searching on this topic. You are able to use Visual studio for this as well as Power BI Report Builder, so chose the tool you are more comfortable with and you are good to go.

Hello @Anonymous !

I have created a Paginated Report in Report Builder and need to create sub reports and would like to use my Visual Studio 2017. I have premium workspace, pro licences and added all the extensions needed from all the posts. On "Preview" mode I am encountering the error "An attempt has been made to use a data extension PBIDATASET that is either not registered for this report or is not suported in thie edition of Reporting Services"

Did you encounter this error or do you have any reccomendations to work properly?
Note: I can see my project perfectly fine on "Design" View just not on "Preview".

Thanks!

You areis mostly correct. Both tools can generate RDL supported for the service.

PBI Report Builder has the one advantage in that it is targeting supporting only the features available in the service. For example, PBIRB does not enable new development of sub reports, although it will allow edit of existing reports with sub reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors