cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cosmal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Developing Paginated reports from Visual Studio instead of Report builder?

I have been researching about Paginated reports for Power Bi and a lot of the information says that they use the standard SSRS report format (.rdl) but that you have to use Report Builder to author the Paginated reports. I am still waiting on access to my development environment so i cant test this out, but i want to know if i can build Paginated reports in Visual Studio as i would for a SSRS report or if i need Report Builder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cosmal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Developing Paginated reports from Visual Studio instead of Report builder?

I was finally able to test out both methods, and i wanted to post an update incase anyone else was searching on this topic. You are able to use Visual studio for this as well as Power BI Report Builder, so chose the tool you are more comfortable with and you are good to go.

2 REPLIES 2
Cosmal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I was finally able to test out both methods, and i wanted to post an update incase anyone else was searching on this topic. You are able to use Visual studio for this as well as Power BI Report Builder, so chose the tool you are more comfortable with and you are good to go.

Highlighted
bradsy Member

You areis mostly correct. Both tools can generate RDL supported for the service.

PBI Report Builder has the one advantage in that it is targeting supporting only the features available in the service. For example, PBIRB does not enable new development of sub reports, although it will allow edit of existing reports with sub reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 939 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: