Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

StolzHerz
Helper I
Helper I

Deploying PBI-Reports to on-premises Power BI Report Server - Best Practices

Hi 

I have installed PBI Report Server on-premises, everything works, including AS Tabular datasource etc... 

I have this environment:

• PBIX reports under SourceControl (TFS 2013)
  • Power BI Desktop (June 2017) optimized for on-premises Power BI Report Server 
  • DEV - Power BI Report Server
  • TEST - Power BI Report Server
  • PROD - Power BI Report Server

What is the best way to deploy new or changed reports to the PBIRS Servers?

• Open it from the TFS Workspace, and then deploy it with "Save as... Power BI Report Server" with changing the datasource for each destination PBIRS is not very convenient
  • Can I automate that? As example like deployment of reports with the SSRS WebService? When I have examples I can do that with C#
  • Or does it already give tools to do this report deployment job?

Greetings

Roli

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Right now there isn't a supported way to automate this, but it is coming. Eric G. posted some code on how you can automate the deployment of PBIX reports in C# here; however for RDLs you'll still want to use SOAP/rs.exe. Also for the RDLs you can check out the ReportServicesTools repo on GitHub which uses PowerShell for catalog management which includes publishing RDLs (PBIX is not there yet).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Right now there isn't a supported way to automate this, but it is coming. Eric G. posted some code on how you can automate the deployment of PBIX reports in C# here; however for RDLs you'll still want to use SOAP/rs.exe. Also for the RDLs you can check out the ReportServicesTools repo on GitHub which uses PowerShell for catalog management which includes publishing RDLs (PBIX is not there yet).

Many thanks! The C# code works fine for uploading a PBIX to PBIRS. I hope we have extended functionality soon, as example to change the data source automatically too!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello StolzHerz

I have a similar requirement, I must upload a PBIX to PBIRS using command prompt. is it possible?

did you find any new solution for this later !!

Thanks 

JK

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.